1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear function standard basis.

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    Does anyone know what L is? I'm trying to see if I could find videos on it on YouTube.

On the first question this is what I think- [a;b] is a vector by the way:

1) [2;1]c1+[7;4]c2=[1;0]
    [2;1]c1+[7;4]c2=[0;1]

I could have also combined those two by having the linear combination equal to a size 2 identity matrix, right?! Is this correct?

2) This is where I'm lost. I know how to switch between a standard basis and a given basis. I'm not exactly sure of the nature of the equation being asked or what it even is, including what L is.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2014 #2
    Let me take a guess at L. From the first condition, it takes an x and transforms to a y. And from the second condition, it takes a y and transforms to a -x.

L = \begin{bmatrix}
    0 & -1 \\
    1 & 0 \\
    \end{bmatrix}

you can check that this L satisfies your mapping constraints.

4. Mar 16, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What do you mean? The problem statement tells you what L is. It's a linear function between R2 and R2.

Strictly speaking, what you wrote has no solution because there are no ##c_1## and ##c_2## that satisfy both equation at once. Assuming you're just being sloppy, I'd say you have the right idea.

Not really. How can a linear combination of column vectors produce a 2x2 matrix?

What do you mean when you say you "know how to switch between a standard basis and a given basis"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted