Linear independence of the set of exponential functions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Monocles
Messages
463
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


For each [tex]n \in \mathbb{N},[/tex] let [tex]f_n(x) = e^{nx}[/tex] for [tex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Prove that [tex]f_1, ... , f_n[/tex] are linearly independent vectors in [tex]{\cal F}(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R})[/tex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I know that the simple way to prove this for n=2 would be by setting x to 0 and 1 and showing that c_1 and c_2 must be 0 with two simultaneous equations. However I don't know how to generalize that to an arbitrary n. I considered making a generalized Wronskian, but I think that would get sloppy and confusing very quickly.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens when you differentiate both sides of

[tex]c_1 f_1 + \cdots + c_n f_n = 0?[/tex]