1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear independent vector space

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    I have a quick question about vector spaces.

Consider the vector space of all polynomials of degree < 1. If the leading coefficient (the number that multiplies [tex]x^{N-1}[/tex]) is 1, does the set still constitute a vector space?

I am thinking that it doesn't because the coefficient multiplying [tex]x^{N-1}[/tex] is the same as the coefficient multiplying [tex]x^{0} = 1[/tex], and then it would not be linearly independent, or something like that, but I am not totally sure about this. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it is not a matter of being "linearly independent"- that is a property of a basis for a subspace, not the subspace itself. Polynomials in a subspace of polynomial can have the same coefficient for different powers. There is nothing wrong with that.

A subspace must have two properties:
    a) It is closed under vector addition.
    b) It is closed under scalar multiplication.

It should be easy to see that neither of those is satified by a set of polynomials with leading coefficient 1. If you add two such polynomials, you get a polynomial with leading coefficient 2, not 1. If you multiply such a polynomial by the number "a", you get a polynomial with leading coefficient "a", not 1.

By the way, did you really mean "the vector space of all polynomials of degree < 1"? That is the set of all constant functions and further requiring that "the leading coefficient is 1" reduces it to a single "vector"!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook