Is a Linear Launch System Feasible for NASA's Spacecraft? Experts Weigh In

In summary, NASA is considering using a linear launch system, similar to rollercoasters, to launch space vehicles. The track would be about 5 miles long and would curve upwards, allowing the vehicle to gain enough momentum to enter space. It is uncertain if this system could practically launch a vehicle into orbit due to the high velocities and potential for damage. However, NASA may be exploring the use of this system to lessen the challenge of getting a vehicle off the ground all at once. Further information can be found in the article "MagLev: The Future of Space Launch?" by NASA.
Line
So the folks at NASA are thinking about testing a linear launch system. It would uses linear induction motors like rollercoasters are using now.

The trakc would be about 5 miles long and eventually curve up I sure. Once at the end the space vehicle will have gained enough momentum to get into space. I want to know, is this practical? I mean to get a craft into space would require tremendous velocities. The thing would be moving so fast I assume the wheels would burn off. It wouold almost definately need to be maglev.

Going at mach 28 would either take a very small aerodymanic vehicle or a big extremely stready track. Wonder how long the track would last.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing you've misjudged the intentions of NASA. I seriously doubt they are comtemplating having something reach escape velocity.

They might, however, be thinking of using it to get the vehicle a little bit above the Earth and then using thrust. It would make sense that they would want to lessen the tremendous obstacle of getting it off the ground all at once.

Well that makes sense. Do you reckon a linear system could get vehicles into orbit?

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Is a Linear Launch System Feasible for NASA's Spacecraft? Experts Weigh In

1. What is a linear launch system?

A linear launch system is a type of space launch technology that uses linear motors or railguns to accelerate a spacecraft along a track or launch tube. This system is designed to provide a more efficient and cost-effective way to launch spacecraft into space compared to traditional rocket technology.

2. How does a linear launch system work?

A linear launch system works by using electromagnetic forces to accelerate a spacecraft along a launch track or tube. This is achieved by energizing a series of coils or rails along the track, creating a magnetic field that interacts with the spacecraft's own magnetic field. As the spacecraft moves along the track, it is continuously accelerated until it reaches the desired velocity to enter orbit.

3. Is a linear launch system feasible for NASA's spacecraft?

While there are ongoing research and development efforts to make a linear launch system feasible for NASA's spacecraft, it is currently not a viable option. This is due to technical challenges such as the need for extremely high velocities, precise alignments, and advanced propulsion systems.

4. What are the potential benefits of using a linear launch system for NASA?

If a linear launch system becomes feasible for NASA's spacecraft, it could potentially provide numerous benefits such as reduced launch costs, increased payload capacity, and faster travel times. It could also pave the way for more sustainable and environmentally friendly space launches.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of using a linear launch system for NASA?

There are several potential drawbacks of using a linear launch system for NASA's spacecraft. These include high initial investment costs, technical challenges, and safety concerns. Additionally, the technology is still in the early stages of development, and it may take several years before it can be successfully implemented for space launches.