Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear least squares, condition number

1. Aug 20, 2008 #1

I am trying to learn some numerical algebra. Now I don't understand the following.

I'm finding the solution to the Linear Least Squares problem [tex]min||A\lambda-y||_{2}[/tex], which turns out to be (1,1). I did this by doing a QR factorization using Givens rotations.

\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    1 & 1\\
    1 & 1.0001\\
    1 & 1.0001\end{array} \right)\][/itex]
    \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    4.0001\end{array} \right)\]

Now, I have a Octave (matlab clone) program that does the same calculation. As the condition number of the matrix A is very large (4.2429e+004) (found by applying Octave's cond() function on A), I expect the solution to be at least not exact. Yet the Octave program gives the exact solution (1,1), at least, as far as I can see (6 digit accuracy I think), that is. Can someone explain this?

Also, should one consider the condition number of the matrix A when considering the condition of the Linear Least Squares problem, or the condition number of the Matrix A|y?
    (The condition number of the latter is even bigger so my first question holds in any case).

Thank you :)
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted