Linear least squares, condition number

• Thread starter azay
  • Start date
Hi,

I am trying to learn some numerical algebra. Now I don't understand the following.

I'm finding the solution to the Linear Least Squares problem [tex]min||A\lambda-y||_{2}[/tex], which turns out to be (1,1). I did this by doing a QR factorization using Givens rotations.

with:

[itex]
A=
\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 1\\
1 & 1.0001\\
1 & 1.0001\end{array} \right)\][/itex]
and
[itex]
y=
\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
2\\
0.0001\\
4.0001\end{array} \right)\]
[/itex]

Now, I have a Octave (matlab clone) program that does the same calculation. As the condition number of the matrix A is very large (4.2429e+004) (found by applying Octave's cond() function on A), I expect the solution to be at least not exact. Yet the Octave program gives the exact solution (1,1), at least, as far as I can see (6 digit accuracy I think), that is. Can someone explain this?

Also, should one consider the condition number of the matrix A when considering the condition of the Linear Least Squares problem, or the condition number of the Matrix A|y?
(The condition number of the latter is even bigger so my first question holds in any case).

Thank you :)

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
The condition numbers don't tell you that something is definitely not accurate. They tell you what at least can be expected. There are a couple of possible reasons: the input is sufficiently precise for the data memory and algorithmic steps used, the algorithms are identical, or just by chance.

marcusl

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Matlab computes with internal numerical precision of approximately 1 part in 10^15 or 10^16, I forget which (unless you set it for greater precision). It therefore easily inverts a matrix of condition number 10^4. (In fact, it should work with condition numbers nearing 10^15.) Presumably Octave is similar.