1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Map = Function of degree P-1

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    If p is prime, prove that for every function f: Fp -> Fp there exists a polynomial Q (depending on f) of degree at most p-1 such that f(x) = Q(x) for each x in Fp.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2
    Would polynomial interpolation work here?

4. Oct 29, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see how you could interpolate. There are only p possible values in [itex]F_p[/itex]. I notice you titled this "Linear Map= Function of degree P-1". Do you understand that there is nothing said here about f being linear?

5. Oct 29, 2009 #4
    Yea I assumed by accident it was linear. Yea I understand that there are only p values in Fp but I don't know how to make the connection to a polynomial. I mean I know a polynomial of degree p-1 has p coefficients but for some reason I can't connect the dots.

6. Oct 29, 2009 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried it? What happened?

Polynomial interpolation works over any field... or is there something else you see that I don't?

7. Oct 30, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I think of "interpolation" as finding values between given values. And since this is a finite field, there is nothing "between" values.

8. Oct 30, 2009 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook