1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Ordinary Differential Equation: Definition

1. May 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The website says this:
    "It is Linear when the variable (and its derivatives) has no exponent or other function put on it.
    So no y2, y3, √y, sin(y), ln(y) etc, just plain y (or whatever the variable is).
    More formally a Linear Differential Equation is in the form:
    dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x)"

My question is whether what makes it a linear differential equation the fact that nothing on the other side of the equals sign from Q(x) has any degree higher than one or whether it is a linear differential equation because the differential doesn't have a degree higher than 1; for example, is this a linear differential equation?
    dy/dx + y^3 = Q(x)
    What about this one?
    dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x)^2
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_differential_equation
    http://www.mathsisfun.com/calculus/differential-equations.html

Note: Sorry on the title. I meant Linear Ordinary Differential Equation. Partial should not be in there.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Maybe a better way to define a linear differential equation is that it will consist only of a linear combination of the dependent variable and its derivatives. In other words, an equation that consists of either a sum of constant multiples of y, y', y'', etc. or a sum where y, y', y'' etc. are multiplied by function of the independent variable.
    No, not linear, because of the y3 term.
    Yes, linear. It doesn't matter that y is multiplied by P(x) or that we have [Q(x)]2.
    I removed "Partial" from the thread title.

4. May 3, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the help Mark44. I understand now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted