1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear superposition for electric field

1. Sep 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rather large non conducting slab of area A and thickness d has a charge density given by ρ = αx2.
    The origin is through the center of the slab. That is, it bisects the slab into two equal volumes of d/2 thickness and with an area A, with -L/2 to the left of x=0 and L/2 to the right of x=0.

Suppose there is a large thin plate of UNIFORM charge density sigma on the left side of the aforementioned slab. What is the E field (everywhere) due to this system? Derive an expression for the electric field for the thin plate and then apply the superposition principle. Also give the domains on X for the regions chosen.

Note: You will not have just one answer.

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the E field everywhere due to the slab & due to the thin plate. Now for the E field everywhere, I should break this problem down into four regions and find the superposition of E field in these regions (due to slab and plate):

x<-d/2

-d/2 < x < 0

0<x<d/2

x>d/2

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would expect that you can combine regions 2 and 3 into a single formula, but splitting them up is not wrong.

d and L are the same thing?

Is x2 meant to be x2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted