1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear transformation and Change of Basis

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Greetings, I have been stuck with this problem for a while, I thought maybe someone could give me some advice about it. Thanks a lot in advance.

If T is a linear transformation that goes from R^2 to R^2 given that T(v1)= -2v2 -v1 and
    T(v2)=3v2.

and B = v1=(1,1) , v2=(1,-1)

Find T with respect to the base B and T with respect to Nat, (the Natural Base)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I found T with respect to B by inspection

-1 0
    -2 3

How can I find T with respect to the natural base?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2
    Write the two natural basis vectors in terms of [itex]v_1,v_2[/itex] and then see what this transformation does to them. Once you know that, then you know how to find the matrix.

4. Jul 24, 2012 #3
    Do you mean to write 1,0 and 0,1 as a linear combination of v1 and v2 ? how can I see what the transformation does to them when I'm not given the transformation?

Thanks

5. Jul 24, 2012 #4
    Well, let's say [itex]e_1 = c_1v_1 + c_2v_2[/itex]. Then, [itex]T(e_1) = T(c_1v_1 + c_2v_2)[/itex]. Now, use the linearity of [itex]T[/itex] and what you know about [itex]T(v_1)[/itex] and [itex]T(v_2)[/itex] to calculate [itex]T(e_1)[/itex].

EDIT:
    I don't know what terms your book uses, but I mean that [itex]e_1 = (1,0)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook