Linear Transformations: Finding Matrix with Standard Basis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the matrix of a linear transformation T with respect to the standard basis b {1,x,x^2,x^3}. The transformations on the standard basis are given as T(1)=2, T(x)=3, T(x^2)=2x^2-2x+5, and T(x^3)=9x^2-9x+9. The next step is to write these transformations as column vectors and use them as the columns of the matrix.
baddin
1. Give information
Let T: P3 ---> P3 be the linear transformation described by:
T(p(x))=p(x+1)+p(2-x).
Find the matrix of T with respect to the standard basis b {1,x,x^2,x^3}.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the transformations on the standard basis b:
T(1) = 2
T(x) = 3
T(x^2) = 2x^2 -2x +5
T(x^3) = 9x^2 - 9x + 9
I am confused on what to do next...

Physics news on Phys.org
baddin said:
1. Give information
Let T: P3 ---> P3 be the linear transformation described by:
T(p(x))=p(x+1)+p(2-x).
Find the matrix of T with respect to the standard basis b {1,x,x^2,x^3}.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the transformations on the standard basis b:
T(1) = 2
T(x) = 3
T(x^2) = 2x^2 -2x +5
T(x^3) = 9x^2 - 9x + 9
I am confused on what to do next...

Write your functions so they look a little more like vectors, write a+bx+cx^2+dx^3 as the column vector [a,b,c,d]. So T(1)=2 becomes T([1,0,0,0])=[2,0,0,0]. Does that help?

Ok, then I should find T(1,0,0,0), T(0,1,0,0), T(0,0,1,0) and T(0,0,0,1) right?

baddin said:
Ok, then I should find T(1,0,0,0), T(0,1,0,0), T(0,0,1,0) and T(0,0,0,1) right?

Right. You really already did. Just write them as column vectors. Then those will be the columns of your matrix.

Likes 1 person
Okay thank you very much for your help =)

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, it is a transformation that maintains the linearity of a vector space.

2. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation preserves the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication, while a non-linear transformation does not. This means that a linear transformation will always produce a straight line or plane, while a non-linear transformation can produce curved or distorted shapes.

3. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation is represented by a matrix. The number of rows and columns in the matrix will depend on the dimensions of the vector spaces being transformed. The elements in the matrix determine how the transformation will affect each vector in the original space.

4. What is the importance of linear transformations in mathematics?

Linear transformations are important in mathematics because they allow us to study the properties of a vector space in a simpler way. They also have many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, physics, and economics.

5. Can a linear transformation change the dimension of a vector space?

Yes, a linear transformation can change the dimension of a vector space. This is because a transformation can map a higher-dimensional space onto a lower-dimensional space, or vice versa. However, the transformation must still preserve the linearity of the vector space.