1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear transformation and find basis

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Define T: R2-->R2 by T(x)=Ax
    Find a basis B for R2 with the property that [T]_B is diagonal.

0 1
    -3 4

3. The attempt at a solution
    The eigenvalues of a diagonal matrix are its diagonal entries, so here the eigenvalues are 1, and -3. For eigenvalue=1 I get the basis [1,1] and for eigenvalue -3 I do not get a linearly dependent system. However, accidentally solved the system for eigenvalue=3 and got the basis [1,3] which is supposed to be correct. Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The eigenvalues are 3 and 1. Not -3 and 1. If for -3 you don't get a linearly dependent system doesn't that make you wonder what's going wrong? Start by fixing that. I really don't think you needed to post this question.
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
  4. May 8, 2008 #3
    Oh so I would need to solve for the eigenvalues here, not just look at the diagonals? I think I confused this matrix with a triangular matrix.
  5. May 8, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course you need to solve for the eigenvalues. I don't know what sort of rule you made up to read them off of the opposite diagonal, but it's clearly not right. Like I said, the fact you didn't get a linearly dependent system should immediately say, that's not an eigenvalue!
  6. May 9, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the eigenvalues of a diagonal matrix the entries on the main diagonal. But this is NOT a diagonal matrix- you are asked to change it into one. Furthermore, -3 and 1 are not on the main diagonal!

What do MEAN by "the basis [1,3]"? That's a single vector. A basis for a two dimensional vector space consists of two vectors.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?