Linear transformation from V to V proof

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that T^2 = -T if and only if T(x) = -x for all x in R(T), and that the intersection of N(T) and R(T) is {0} when T^2 = -T. The conversation also clarifies the meaning of T^2 and how to approach the question without assuming that V is finite-dimensional.
p3forlife

Homework Statement

Let V be a vector space over a field F and let L(V) be the vector space of linear transformations from V to V. Suppose that T is in L(V). Do not assume that V is finite-dimensional.
a) Prove that T^2 = -T iff T(x) = -x for all x in R(T).
b) Suppose that T^2 = -T. Prove that the intersection of N(T) and R(T) = {0}.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The T^2 is throwing me off slightly. Does it just mean take the square of the original linear transformation T?
So if T^2 = -T,
T^2 (x) = -T(x)
Also rank(T^2) = rank (-T)
That's all I have so far. How can I approach this if I can't assume that V is finite-dimensional?
If I could get a few tips on how to start this question, it would be very helpful :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't gotten very far. Can you show if T(x)=-x, then T^2(x)=-T(x)? That's the easy direction. For the 'only if', if x is in R(T) then there is a y in V such that x=T(y). Act with T on both sides of that and use T^2=-T.

Hmm...I might be completely missing the point here...

Show that if T(x) = -x, then T^2(x) = -T(x)
If T(x) = -x,
T^2(x) = (-x)^2 = x^2
-T(x) = -(-x) = x
T^2(x) does not equal -T(x)

You are missing the point. T^2(x) means T(T(x)). You can't really 'square' a vector.

Thanks. I got it.
Just to make sure, for part b), would N(T) = 0 since it is a transformation from V to V? Also would R(T) = x?

Why would you think N(T)=0 (null space, right?)? And why would R(T) (range, right?) be x, whatever that is? R(T) is a subspace. I think you'd better look up those definitions again.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the basic structure of the space. In other words, it takes in a vector and outputs a new vector in the same space.

2. What does it mean for a linear transformation to be from V to V?

When a linear transformation is from V to V, it means that both the input and output vectors are from the same vector space, V. This is also known as an endomorphism.

3. How is a linear transformation from V to V different from a general linear transformation?

A linear transformation from V to V is a special case of a general linear transformation, where the input and output vectors are from the same vector space. In a general linear transformation, the input and output vectors can be from different vector spaces.

4. How do you prove that a linear transformation from V to V is valid?

To prove that a linear transformation from V to V is valid, you must show that it satisfies two conditions: preservation of addition and preservation of scalar multiplication. In other words, the transformation must preserve the basic algebraic operations of the vector space.

5. What are some common examples of a linear transformation from V to V?

Some common examples of a linear transformation from V to V include the identity transformation, where the input and output vectors are the same, and the zero transformation, where the output vector is always the zero vector regardless of the input. Other examples include rotations, reflections, and dilations in Euclidean space.