1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear transformation from V to V proof

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be a vector space over a field F and let L(V) be the vector space of linear transformations from V to V. Suppose that T is in L(V). Do not assume that V is finite-dimensional.
    a) Prove that T^2 = -T iff T(x) = -x for all x in R(T).
    b) Suppose that T^2 = -T. Prove that the intersection of N(T) and R(T) = {0}.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The T^2 is throwing me off slightly. Does it just mean take the square of the original linear transformation T?
    So if T^2 = -T,
    T^2 (x) = -T(x)
    Also rank(T^2) = rank (-T)
    That's all I have so far. How can I approach this if I can't assume that V is finite-dimensional?
    If I could get a few tips on how to start this question, it would be very helpful :)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You haven't gotten very far. Can you show if T(x)=-x, then T^2(x)=-T(x)? That's the easy direction. For the 'only if', if x is in R(T) then there is a y in V such that x=T(y). Act with T on both sides of that and use T^2=-T.

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    Hmm....I might be completely missing the point here...

Show that if T(x) = -x, then T^2(x) = -T(x)
    If T(x) = -x,
    T^2(x) = (-x)^2 = x^2
    -T(x) = -(-x) = x
    T^2(x) does not equal -T(x)

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are missing the point. T^2(x) means T(T(x)). You can't really 'square' a vector.

6. Nov 9, 2008 #5
    Thanks. I got it.
    Just to make sure, for part b), would N(T) = 0 since it is a transformation from V to V? Also would R(T) = x?

7. Nov 9, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you think N(T)=0 (null space, right?)? And why would R(T) (range, right?) be x, whatever that is? R(T) is a subspace. I think you'd better look up those definitions again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?