1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformation P2 > R^2

1. Jun 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If L( p(x) ) = [ integral (p(x)) dx , p(0) ]

find representation matrix A such that

L (a + bx) = A[a b]^T

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't quite understand the question.
    I think that:
    if the base from p2 is {1, x} then any vector in p2 is of the form a + bx.
    Then I can find L(a) = (a1 , a2) and L(bx) = (a3 , a4)
    And use it to get A?

Can someone re phrase the question for me?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Given: [tex]L(p(x)) = \left[\begin{array}{c}\int p(x)dx\\p(0)\end{array}\right][/tex]

Put [tex]L(ax+b) = \left[\begin{array}{c}\int (ax+b)dx\\b\end{array}\right][/tex]

keeping going... the goal is to come up with a matrix A such that [tex]A\left[\begin{array}{cc}a&b\end{array}\right]^T[/tex] equals the right-hand side of the last equation.
  4. Jun 19, 2008 #3
    [tex]L(ax+b) => \left[\begin{array}{cc}x&x^2 / 2 \\0&1\end{array}\right] [/tex] [tex][\begin{array}{c}\ \alpha\\ \beta \end{array} \right] [/tex]
  5. Jun 20, 2008 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you're missing something important: the map is supposed to go from P^2 to R^2, so you can't map ax+b as you claim as the integral in the first coordinate yields (infinitely many) polynomial expressions. Surely the integral should be over some interval (I'd suggest the integral from 0 to 1 as the most likely).

Your matrix in the last post can't make sense, since it implies that the polynomial variables are allowed to appear in the positions in vectors in R^2.
  6. Jun 23, 2008 #5
    yup that was it.. I missed the interval, so the xs turned out to be 1's

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?