1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformation Question

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let V = F^n
    for some n ≥ 1. Show that there do not exist linear maps
    S, T : V → V such that ST − T S = I.

3. The attempt at a solution

I used induction to prove that ST^n-T^nS = nT^n-1 and that S^nT-TS^n=nS^n-1, and I know I'm supposed to use that to come up with a contradiction to the fact that the space is finite dimensional, but I'm not sure how to approach that part of the problem.
    Any help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand why you're doing this; i.e., looking at Tn.

V is an n-dimensional vector space over some field F - that's what Fn means.

It seems to me that the most obvious way to approach this problem is to assume that there are linear maps from V to V such that ST - TS = I. If you get a contradiction, and you should, you can conclude that no such maps exist.

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3
    The hint that was given was to prove that ST^n-T^nS = nT^n-1 (which I did) and see how it bring about a contradiction, but I don't see how the second part works.

5. Mar 14, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know every matrix satisfies its characteristic polynomial. Try working with that. The easy alternate way to do it is to take the trace of both sides. I think both might get into trouble if the field has finite characteristic. Can it?

6. Mar 14, 2013 #5
    Looking at the trace it seems so obvious now, thank you!

7. Mar 14, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That has some qualifications depending on what F is. In some finite fields, trace(I) is zero. You can also argue using the hint and the characteristic polynomial, but I think that has the same qualification. If the field is such that 1+1+...+1 (n times) isn't equal to zero, then it should work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted