1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformations and Coordinate

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let B be a basis of R^2 consisting of the vectors <5,2> and <1,5> and let R be the basis consisting of <2,3> and <1,2>

Find a matrix P such that [x]_r=P[x]_b for all x in R^2
    2. Relevant equations

Ax=B?

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted by using Ax=B as a format to solve for P, or x in the equation. I took the inverse of the column matrix of B because B is a basis, and if I am correct, a matrix's basis is defined as its coordinates ([x]_b).

I understand the geometrical interpretation of a linear transformation, yet I have no idea how to represent the transformation as a matrix. I would love an in depth description to approach similar exercises.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not quite. The relevant equation in this case is the one given in the problem statement.

[tex][x]_r=P[x]_b[/tex]

How would you go about represented a general vector [itex]x[/itex] in the B-basis?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook