1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearising Eqn for Fractal dimension

1. Nov 25, 2012 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am doing an experiment to determine the fractal dimension of hand compressed aluminium spheres. I cut a square of foil of some length ##L## and known thickness, ##t##. I do this a few times, varying ##L##. The radius of the hand compressed spheres, $$r = aL^{\frac{2}{d_f}}, a\, \text{some constant}$$ where ##d_f## is the fractal dimension sought after. Linearise this eqn so that the data can be plotted linearly.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I suppose they would have got to the given eqn by saying $$\frac{4}{3}\pi r^{d_f} = L^2t,$$ and solving for ##r##, with ##a = (\frac{3t}{4\pi})^{1/d_f}##?
    When they say 'data', I presume that means my values of ##L, r## that I measure using a ruler or Vernier callipers.
    Now to linearise: I said a linearised form would be $$( \frac{r}{a})^{d_f} = L^2.$$ Is this correct? I have ##y =( \frac{r}{a})^{d_f}, x = L^2, c = 0##

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That doesn't help because you don't know df, so can't plot y. You need to get it in the form g(r) = m(df)h(L) + c, for some functions g, h and m, and some constant c, where g and h are not dependent on df. That would allow you to plot g(r) against h(L) and extract m(df) as the slope.

4. Nov 25, 2012 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Ok, thanks. So I should have $$ ln(\frac{r}{a}) = \frac{2}{d_f} ln(L)? $$

5. Nov 25, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook