Linearising Eqn for Fractal dimension

In summary, the conversation involves determining the fractal dimension of hand compressed aluminium spheres. The equation for the radius of the spheres is given, and the speaker suggests linearizing it in order to plot the data. The correct linearized form is discussed and it is determined that the slope can be used to extract the fractal dimension.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am doing an experiment to determine the fractal dimension of hand compressed aluminium spheres. I cut a square of foil of some length ##L## and known thickness, ##t##. I do this a few times, varying ##L##. The radius of the hand compressed spheres, $$r = aL^{\frac{2}{d_f}}, a\, \text{some constant}$$ where ##d_f## is the fractal dimension sought after. Linearise this eqn so that the data can be plotted linearly.

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose they would have got to the given eqn by saying $$\frac{4}{3}\pi r^{d_f} = L^2t,$$ and solving for ##r##, with ##a = (\frac{3t}{4\pi})^{1/d_f}##?
When they say 'data', I presume that means my values of ##L, r## that I measure using a ruler or Vernier callipers.
Now to linearise: I said a linearised form would be $$( \frac{r}{a})^{d_f} = L^2.$$ Is this correct? I have ##y =( \frac{r}{a})^{d_f}, x = L^2, c = 0##

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't help because you don't know df, so can't plot y. You need to get it in the form g(r) = m(df)h(L) + c, for some functions g, h and m, and some constant c, where g and h are not dependent on df. That would allow you to plot g(r) against h(L) and extract m(df) as the slope.

Ok, thanks. So I should have $$ ln(\frac{r}{a}) = \frac{2}{d_f} ln(L)? $$

, so that $$\ln y = d_f \ln \frac{r}{a} = d_f \ln r - d_f \ln a.$$

I would agree with your attempt at a solution. Linearising equations is a common technique in scientific research to make data more easily interpretable. Your approach of taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation is correct and will result in a linear relationship between ln(y) and ln(x). This will allow you to plot your data on a graph and determine the slope, which will correspond to the fractal dimension sought after. However, I would recommend double-checking your calculations and ensuring that you have properly accounted for all units and constants in your linearisation. It is always important to be thorough and accurate in scientific experiments. Good luck with your research!

1. What is "Linearising Eqn for Fractal dimension"?

"Linearising Eqn for Fractal dimension" is a mathematical process used to transform a non-linear equation into a linear form, in order to estimate the fractal dimension of a given object or system. Fractal dimension is a measure of the complexity and self-similarity of a geometric shape or pattern.

2. Why is it important to linearize equations for fractal dimension?

Linearizing equations for fractal dimension allows for easier analysis and estimation of the fractal dimension. Non-linear equations can be difficult to solve and interpret, while linear equations are much simpler and can provide more accurate results.

3. What are some common methods for linearizing equations for fractal dimension?

Some common methods for linearizing equations for fractal dimension include logarithmic transformation, double logarithmic transformation, and power law transformation. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method may depend on the particular equation and data being analyzed.

4. Can linearizing equations for fractal dimension be applied to any type of data?

Linearizing equations for fractal dimension can be applied to a wide range of data, including natural phenomena, economic data, and biological data. However, the method used may vary depending on the type of data and the specific research question being addressed.

5. Are there any limitations to using linearizing equations for fractal dimension?

While linearizing equations for fractal dimension can be a useful tool, there are some limitations to consider. Linearization may not always be possible or appropriate for certain types of data, and the results may be affected by the choice of transformation method. Additionally, interpreting the results may require a good understanding of fractal geometry and mathematical concepts.