1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearising Graph of Mass and Frequency

1. Jul 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I did an experiment about the loading of tuning forks. I added blue tac to one of the prongs on a tuning fork and then weighed it. I then measured the different frequencies for each mass and plotted a graph which ended up looking like a exponential decay graph. The results are shown below :

Mass(kg): Frequency(Hz):
    0.05179 307.83
    0.05219 305
    0.05269 302.83
    0.05335 301.17
    0.05378 299.83
    0.05572 299.17

2. Relevant equations
    ω = 2πf
    ω = √(k/m)

3. The attempt at a solution
    When a tuning fork oscillates it is under SHM as when the prongs oscillate there is a restoring force towards the equilibrium. Using the equations of SHM, I did :
    2πf = √(k/m)
    ∴ f = √(k/m) x 1/2π.

As, k and π are constants, we can rearrange the equation so that f = √k/2π x √1/m.
    So if I plot f on the y-axis, and √1/m on the x-axis, I should get a straight line with √k/2π, being the gradient. However, I still get a exponential decay looking curve when I try to do that! I've then gone on to try the usual logging both sides and then plotting a graph of lg(frequency) and lg(mass) but I still get a curve which is extremely strange? I tried plotting frequency to (1/mass)². But still I get a curve? Could anybody please point out where I have gone wrong or done something careless? I can't seem to spot the problem and can't linearise the curve!!

Thank you so much in advance, your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Tikiboom, :welcome:

For your m you seem to take the mass of the entire fork. But not the entire fork vibrates ! So you want to work around your formula in such a way that you can plot your observation versus m. That way you can estimate m0, the mass that doen's vibrate.

One other remark: why attach a weight to one prong only ? What frequency do you expect for the other prong ? How does that influence your measurement ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted