Linearly Increasing Potential Well. Help

In summary: This is also what the input shows.In summary, the amplitude and wavelength should be decreasing from when x = 0 to when E = V0.
Brydan
[Note: no template because this post was moved from the QM subforum]

I was working on problem #41 and was confused about what the wave function would look like from the time x = 0 to when E=V0. (See image in attachments)https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=be26b6c94d&view=fimg&th=14c66f8d9fef8e09&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1497006575826501632-local0&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ9_sVoeG4InQCcYyJgM9GdXq5BJUBa-YH0cv1QCny82hco_1lvkH8I3AvpB_3B_zcwK5VVtj8BIZFl_yafUAFkA85LYwtvbi40WKWRnP6ch-psjeDgoFr6Vf7k&ats=1427656728466&rm=14c66f8d9fef8e09&zw&sz=w1896-h859In class we did this problem and my professor drew something on the board that looked similar to the image below, where both the amplitude and wavelength decrease from when x = 0 to when E = V0.

20150328_234815.jpg

However, I don't understand this solution. as according to the equations below, the wavelength should be increasing:
20150328_235319.jpg
Additionally, I don't understand why the amplitude would be decreasing.

I was wondering if anyone could perhaps clarify what the amplitude and wavelength should be doing and why. My test is tomorrow so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-29_15-34-6.png
    upload_2015-3-29_15-34-6.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 655
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this problem, ##E## and ##V_0## are constants so thinking about what happens as the one approaches the other is distracting you from the point of the problem.

Nugatory said:
In this problem, ##E## and ##V_0## are constants so thinking about what happens as the one approaches the other is distracting you from the point of the problem.
But since V0 is increasing linearly wouldn't it not be considered a constant?

Suppose you made a crude approximation of that linearly-varying potential with (say) three sequential finite-wells...(which must be joined appropriately at their boundaries)...

The graph is wrong for two reasons, just to the left of x=0 the particle has its greatest kinetic energy and moves the fastest and is least likely to be found in some small interval. Near the point where the energy is nearly all potential the particle moves slowly and is more likely to be found. You should know which region has the shortest wavelength.

Hello Brydan, I hope you did well on the test. Your own hand-written thingy is along the lines of Spinnor's input and seems healthy to me. It's just that you used V0 instead of V there that confused Nugatory and yourself. So you should be able to qualitatively improve on teacher's rough sketch. And explain. Which is all the exercise requires.

Must say I have no idea what the composer of the exercise means with 'outside the potential well'. All I can distinguish is a region E > V and a region E < V.

1. What is a linearly increasing potential well?

A linearly increasing potential well is a theoretical model used in physics to describe the behavior of particles in a specific potential energy field. It consists of a potential energy function that increases linearly with distance, creating a well-like shape that traps particles within a certain range of energies.

2. How is a linearly increasing potential well different from other potential wells?

Unlike other potential wells, which have a parabolic shape, a linearly increasing potential well has a linear shape. This means that the potential energy increases at a constant rate as the particle moves away from the center of the well.

3. What are the applications of a linearly increasing potential well?

A linearly increasing potential well is commonly used in quantum mechanics to model the behavior of particles in confined spaces, such as atoms and molecules. It is also used in other fields, such as solid-state physics, to study the properties of materials.

4. How is the behavior of particles in a linearly increasing potential well determined?

The behavior of particles in a linearly increasing potential well is determined by the Schrödinger equation, which describes the wave function of a particle in a given potential. The solution to this equation provides information about the energy levels and probability of finding a particle at a certain position.

5. What are the limitations of a linearly increasing potential well model?

The linearly increasing potential well model is a simplified representation of real-world systems and has several limitations. It assumes that the potential energy is constant across the entire well, which may not be the case in more complex systems. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors, such as interactions between particles, that may affect the behavior of the system.