Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help identifying this rock, Found in northern MN

1. Oct 24, 2018 #1
    Rock.jpg [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2018 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

The image is not visible for me. If you need help getting your image to post, let us know. We can help.

4. Oct 24, 2018 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

@jim mcnamara it looks like he was able to upload it now.

@ReevesN76R -- Welcome to the PF. Can you take a closeup picture of the marks on the rock? Are those marks (like drawn), or are they something embedded?

5. Oct 24, 2018 #4
  6. Oct 24, 2018 #5
    They are embedded.

Attached Files:

7. Oct 25, 2018 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

8. Oct 26, 2018 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

9. Oct 27, 2018 #8
    The porphyritic basalt seems to be correct. I have been collecting rocks and minerals for 55 years.

10. Oct 27, 2018 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cool rock.

11. Oct 27, 2018 #10
    a rhombic porphyry most likely - how come you found it in Minesota, tough? They are more common in the scandinavian region around Oslo, Norway. :wink:

12. Oct 29, 2018 #11

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The rock is rounded and river worn, so it was not taken directly from an outcrop. It has probably been carried by a glacier or an ice sheet during the last glacial period. It may have traveled a long way south from some volcanics in Canada.
    I have found identifiable rocks in unexpected places, but only where glaciation was available to transport them.

13. Oct 29, 2018 #12

256bits

Gold Member

14. Oct 29, 2018 #13
    It looks like what I have known as a "pudding stone"

15. Oct 29, 2018 #14

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Pudding stone is a sedimentary "conglomerate" of rounded pebbles in a fine matrix. It looks like a cut slice through a plum pudding.

The rock pictured was volcanic, having a fine green basalt matrix with large phenocrysts of feldspar. A rock with phenocrysts is described as a porphyry, or as being porphyritic. The phenocrysts are crystallised out of the melt over many years as the magma gradually rises up towards a volcanic vent. The fine grained matrix indicates that it cooled quickly once it reached the surface which is why it is known to be a volcanic rock.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenocrysts

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted