1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lines Planes and Vectors in 3 space

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    If the line is parallel to the vector v = < -2,1,3>, what is the equation of the plane containing L and the point B = (-2,3,1)

A) - x + y + z = 6
    B) 3x - 2y - z = 4
    C) x + 6y -11z = 5
    D) x + 5y - z = 12
    E) 2x + 10y - 19z = 7

I know we can get the equation of the line because we have a point on the line and a vector parallel

So x = xo + at, y = yo + bt , z = zo + ct

x = -2 + -2t
    y = 3 + t
    z = 1 + 3t

I know the equation of a plane is a(x - xo) + b(y - yo) + c(z - zo) = 0. But the vector here <a,b,c> has to be normal to the plane...
    Can someone help figure out how i find the answer

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is a tricky question. If all you know is a point on a plane and a vector that is parallel to a line that lies in the plane, there is not enough information to specify a unique plane.

However, since they give you the equations of 5 planes, then what you need to do is pick the one (if any) that works.

For each of the 4 planes that contains the given point (one plane doesn't), calculate the normal vector, and dot it with the direction vector of the line. If the result is 0, this means that the direction vector is perpendicular to the normal vector, so must lie in the plane. If the dot product isn't zero, the given line can't lie in the plane.

That's what I would do. I haven't worked it all the way through, so I can't say whether any of the given planes works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook