Finding a plane based off 2 points and the z axis

In summary, the equation of a plane that passes through the points (4,2,1) and (-2, 9, 6), and is parallel to the z-axis can be found by first making a vector out of the two given points, and then solving for the direction numbers of the normal vector to the plane.
hagobarcos

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the plane that passes through the points (4,2,1) and (-2, 9, 6), and is parallel to the z axis.

Homework Equations

a(X-Xo) + b(Y-Yo) + c(Z-Zo) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so for this one, I first tried to make a vector out of the two given points.
If P(4,2,1) and Q(-2,9,6),

then PQ = <-6,7,5>.

Next I fumbled around a bit trying to figure out how to either a) find another vector to form a cross product with, or b) somehow figure out what the <a,b,c> numbers should look like in order to be parallel to z axis.

When I tried approach a) I came up with another point on the z axis, (0,0,1), used it as a vector of its own, crossed it with PQ, picked up the resultant, and plugged in the direction numbers to the plane equation.

For part b) I tried making a vector out of (0,0,1) and P, crossing it with PQ and using the resultant direction numbers.

However, both approaches seem to be rather wrong.

Attachments

• Cal Hw 11.5.jpg
    Cal Hw 11.5.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
hagobarcos said:

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the plane that passes through the points (4,2,1) and (-2, 9, 6), and is parallel to the z axis.

Homework Equations

a(X-Xo) + b(Y-Yo) + c(Z-Zo) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so for this one, I first tried to make a vector out of the two given points.
If P(4,2,1) and Q(-2,9,6),

then PQ = <-6,7,5>.

Next I fumbled around a bit trying to figure out how to either a) find another vector to form a cross product with, or b) somehow figure out what the <a,b,c> numbers should look like in order to be parallel to z axis.

When I tried approach a) I came up with another point on the z axis, (0,0,1), used it as a vector of its own, crossed it with PQ, picked up the resultant, and plugged in the direction numbers to the plane equation.

For part b) I tried making a vector out of (0,0,1) and P, crossing it with PQ and using the resultant direction numbers.

However, both approaches seem to be rather wrong.
Why pick a point on the z-axis?

Instead, use a vector which is parallel to the z-axis .

Does the unit vector z count? <0,0,1>

hagobarcos said:
Does the unit vector z count? <0,0,1>

Why not?
Beginning or ending at either of the given points, where does this vector take you ?

Well, since the unit vector always points up by 1 unit, for point P(4,2,1), the vector says to go up one to (4, 2, 2).

For point Q(-2,9,6), it says go up one unit in the z axis, to (-2,9,8).

With these new points, the cross product of the resulting vectors should yield the direction numbers <a,b,c> of the normal vector to the plane that I am trying to describe, no?

Maybe this is still wrong, but I have a resultant of 7i + 6j + 0k from crossing <0,0,1> with <-6,7,5>, which I then used to produce 7(x-4) + 6(y-2) = 0, which turns out to

7x + 6y - 40 = 0.

However, upon asking Wolfram Alpha to plot it, I got a line!

Well actually, after some meddling, got this:

Attachments

• 11.5 plane.jpg
    11.5 plane.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 436
hagobarcos said:
Maybe this is still wrong, but I have a resultant of 7i + 6j + 0k from crossing <0,0,1> with <-6,7,5>, which I then used to produce 7(x-4) + 6(y-2) = 0, which turns out to

7x + 6y - 40 = 0.

However, upon asking Wolfram Alpha to plot it, I got a line!
That plane does contain the two points, and is parallel to (or contains) <0, 0, 1>, right? Since the plane doesn't pass through the origin, it's parallel to the z-axis.

Excellent. Thank you for the assistance :D

What is the process for finding a plane based off 2 points and the z axis?

The process for finding a plane based off 2 points and the z axis involves using the two given points to calculate the slope and then using that slope to determine the equation of the plane. The z axis value of the equation represents the third point that the plane passes through.

Why is the z axis important in finding a plane?

The z axis is important in finding a plane because it represents the third dimension in a 3-dimensional coordinate system. This third dimension is necessary in order to fully define a plane in space.

What if one of the given points lies on the z axis?

If one of the given points lies on the z axis, the process for finding the plane remains the same. The only difference is that the z axis value of the equation will be equal to the z coordinate of the given point.

Can a plane be defined by only two points?

No, a plane cannot be defined by only two points. In order to fully define a plane in 3-dimensional space, at least three non-collinear points are needed. However, two points can be used to determine the slope of the plane and then the z axis value can be used to find the third point that the plane passes through.

How can finding a plane based off 2 points and the z axis be applied in real life?

Finding a plane based off 2 points and the z axis can be applied in many real-life situations, such as in engineering and architecture. It can be used to determine the slope of a roof or the angle of a ramp, as well as to calculate the trajectory of an object in motion. It also has applications in computer graphics and 3D modeling.