1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a plane based off 2 points and the z axis

1. Jul 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find an equation of the plane that passes through the points (4,2,1) and (-2, 9, 6), and is parallel to the z axis.

2. Relevant equations

a(X-Xo) + b(Y-Yo) + c(Z-Zo) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay so for this one, I first tried to make a vector out of the two given points.
    If P(4,2,1) and Q(-2,9,6),

then PQ = <-6,7,5>.

Next I fumbled around a bit trying to figure out how to either a) find another vector to form a cross product with, or b) somehow figure out what the <a,b,c> numbers should look like in order to be parallel to z axis.

When I tried approach a) I came up with another point on the z axis, (0,0,1), used it as a vector of its own, crossed it with PQ, picked up the resultant, and plugged in the direction numbers to the plane equation.

For part b) I tried making a vector out of (0,0,1) and P, crossing it with PQ and using the resultant direction numbers.

However, both approaches seem to be rather wrong.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why pick a point on the z-axis?

Instead, use a vector which is parallel to the z-axis .

4. Jul 14, 2014 #3
    Does the unit vector z count? <0,0,1>

5. Jul 14, 2014 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not?

Beginning or ending at either of the given points, where does this vector take you ?

6. Jul 14, 2014 #5
    Well, since the unit vector always points up by 1 unit, for point P(4,2,1), the vector says to go up one to (4, 2, 2).

For point Q(-2,9,6), it says go up one unit in the z axis, to (-2,9,8).

With these new points, the cross product of the resulting vectors should yield the direction numbers <a,b,c> of the normal vector to the plane that I am trying to describe, no?

7. Jul 14, 2014 #6
    Maybe this is still wrong, but I have a resultant of 7i + 6j + 0k from crossing <0,0,1> with <-6,7,5>, which I then used to produce 7(x-4) + 6(y-2) = 0, which turns out to

7x + 6y - 40 = 0.

However, upon asking Wolfram Alpha to plot it, I got a line!

8. Jul 14, 2014 #7
    Well actually, after some meddling, got this:

Attached Files:

9. Jul 14, 2014 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That plane does contain the two points, and is parallel to (or contains) <0, 0, 1>, right? Since the plane doesn't pass through the origin, it's parallel to the z-axis.

10. Jul 15, 2014 #9
    Excellent. Thank you for the assistance :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted