Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Listening to the Feynman tapes on youtube, and I have a question.

1. Jun 20, 2013 #1
    Apparently Bill Gates bought some tapes and released them to the public. I've been listening to them all day, and I'm enjoying the hell out of them.

In lecture #2, the one on the relationship between mathematics and physics, he talks about how mathematics is the language of physics but that mathematics alone cannot give one a thorough understanding of physics. He starts talking about how mathematicians are restricted and that language (concepts) plus mathematics is what makes physicists so brilliant. I'm paraphrasing him, but that's essentially what he said.

Here's my question: where can I get a list of all the key terms in physics? Inertia, gravity, acceleration, velocity, etc. Yeah, I already have those, but I want the rest.

Is there either a website or a general book for the public that contains all the important words involved in understanding physics, at least on a non-mathematical level?

In other words, I accept that I'm not smart enough to learn the mathematics of theories like general relativity, but I absolutely enjoy meditating on the language of physics. I do it all the time, and I'm just wanting a more organized way (list or book) of doing it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2013 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jun 20, 2013 #3
    Wow that was "cool" of him, "cool" as in socially responsible; a la his donations/charity.

I have long mused over SR and occasionally tried to with GR. I know of the definitions (equations or wording) for gravity / acceleration / inertia. But in no way do I understand the concepts. SR taught me about speed (velocity), and I feel I understand that concept; but it is certainly far from the simple calculation of distance divided by time..conceptually. Yes This is semantics, but hopefully you see what I am saying.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  5. Jun 21, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Are you talking about the Cornell lectures?

This is simply not true, please don't put yourself down like that; if you want to learn it then you can do it. Heck if I can do it then so can you. The mathematics of GR is not nearly as complicated as what people make it out to be.

Read this: http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0511073v1.pdf

6. Jun 21, 2013 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook