Value of this 'Science' Channel as quick intro

In summary: So, although it seems to introduce something new kinematically to distinguish Special relativity from Galilean relativity...this particular feature of “speed through spacetime” really doesn’t distinguish special relativity......other than elevating the important finite speed in special relativity...and suggesting that Galilean relativity should be reformulated with similar affine-geometrical structures.update:This however does introduce a new misconception or unnecessary confusion with the fact that the spatial-velocity of light (essentially the slope of light's 4-momentum) is c and that massive particles can have their 4-velocities (unit tangent vectors) normalized to
berkeman said:
An off-topic discussion about videos by @ScienceClic has been deleted and he will not be able to post again in this thread.
I thought this is thread is a discussion about a video by @ScienceClic. Could you please clarify what exactly is off topic here?

Specifically I was interested to hear what @D.S.Beyer finds to be dubious in another video that he mentions which visualizes 4D space-time .

Physics news on Phys.org
MikeGomez said:
I thought this is thread is a discussion about a video by @ScienceClic. Could you please clarify what exactly is off topic here?
This is still under discussion by the Mentors. More in a bit...

robphy said:
I think I'm the only one who has published the rotated graph paper diagrams.

I do know of two presentations by others who have used it in their slides:
Isn't this just Bondi's k-formalism visualized in a pretty clever didactical way of "rotated graph paper".

Behind this is of course the representation of vectors ##x \in \mathbb{R}^{1,1}## in terms of "light-cone coordinates", ##(\xi,\eta)=(x^0-x^1,x^0+x^1)##. The lines ##\xi=\text{const}## are the light cones for light moving in positive 1-direction, and ##\xi=\text{const}## those for light moving in negative 1 direction.

Since ##x_{\mu} x^{\mu}=(x^0)^2-(x^1)^2=\xi \eta## an Lorentz transformation, which leaves this Minkowski quadratic form invariant, is given by
$$\xi'=A \xi, \quad \eta'=\frac{1}{A} \eta.$$
This means
$$x^{\prime 0}-x^{\prime 1}=A(x^0-x^1), \quad x^{\prime 0}+x^{\prime 1}=\frac{1}{A}(x^0+x^1).$$
From this you get
$$x^{\prime 0}=\frac{1}{2} [(A+1/A) x^0+ (1/A-A) x^1], \quad x^{\prime 1}=\frac{1}{2}[(1/A-A) x^0+(1/A+A) x^1].$$
The origin of the primed system moves with velocity ##v## given by
$$\beta\frac{v}{c}=\frac{A-1/A}{A+1/A}=\frac{A^2-1}{A^2+1}.$$
i.e.,
$$A=\sqrt{\frac{1+\beta}{1-\beta}},$$
Since ##A \in \mathbb{R}## you must have ##|\beta|<1## and the transform reads, as it should
$$x^{\prime 0}=\gamma(x^0-\beta x^1), \quad x^{\prime 1}=\gamma(-\beta x^0+x^1), \quad \gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}.$$
The nice thing with this representation and the "rotated graph paper" is that the area of the "diamonds" spanned by the coordinates lines ##\xi=\text{const}## and ##\eta=\text{const}## stay the same under Lorentz transformations. The consequences for the geometry of the Minkowski space in this rotated-graph-paper representation is given in detail in @robphy 's nice paper

https://arxiv.org/abs/1111.7254

Likes robphy
MikeGomez said:

Specifically I was interested to hear what @D.S.Beyer finds to be dubious in another video that he mentions which visualizes 4D space-time .

I'm going to save that for another thread since this thread is ...uh... in 'flux'.
I'll make sure to remember to @ you, cause it's going to be fun.