1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Literature on Astrophysics

1. Jul 17, 2008 #1
    Hello, I'm new to these forums so I don't really know if I'm posting this in the right spot, but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on books to read on Astrophysics. I've been reading a couple books on String Theory by Brian Greene and a couple books by Michio Kaku, but I would really like to get more into the depth of Astrophysics in a few other books. I would also like to say, nothing too complicated, something for a new person looking into Astrophysics. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you'll need to be more specific: are you looking for popular science books, similar to the ones you name here, or do you want technical books on astrophysics. I'm not sure that I know of any that fall into the latter category...

4. Jul 17, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Zeilik's "Introductory Astronomy and Astrophysics" should be a fairly small step up from Pop. sci. books.

5. Jul 17, 2008 #4
    Freedman and Kaufmann's "Universe" textbook would be good. It is predominantly conceptual in nature and covers a lot of topics. You should be able to find older editions for a few bucks.

6. Jul 17, 2008 #5
    In response to your reply, I am looking for more technical books on Astrophysics. I am really looking to learn new astrophysics for later on in my schooling.

7. Jul 17, 2008 #6
    If your looking for a book that uses mathematics extensively, I recommend "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie. They came out with a new edition within the past year, so it is a little pricey but older editions may be cheaper.

8. Jul 17, 2008 #7
    Maybe not exactly what you are searching for, but you can download it for free, so why not have a look at it:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0706.1988

Lecture notes on Astronomy, Astrophysics and Cosmology for undergrades. Some of the equations are too hard for a newbie, just skip them and read the text.

9. Jul 17, 2008 #8
    nice, thank you

10. Jul 21, 2008 #9
    McTrastico - I was at the same level with you. Plans of pursuing physics/astrophysics as a career - read I guess "laymen" physics/ astrophysics books - wanted something deeper but not too complex for one without a degree in the field?
    Try Feynman's Lectures - He's interesting and from what I hear he is must read for some undergraduate physics majors in college.
    Also read Stephen Hawking's A Brief History Of Time - similar to what Greene did in The Elegant Universe - but a little more complex.
    Another book that fits what you want - The Road To Reality by Roger Penrose
    If you have access to science journals, then Astrophysical Journal would be a given.
    You would also be surprised at how many essays with varying degrees of complexity on astrophysics or related fields are on the web. A simple search would give you a plethora of information.
    Hope this helps.

11. Jul 22, 2008 #10
    I just want to say that that was a very helpful reply, I'm in the middle of reading The Elegant Universe, and about to start on A Brief History of Time afterwards, and a quick question, If I read some online essays, would It really help when I take the astronomy and physics courses in school?

12. Jul 22, 2008 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would be very careful when choosing articles to read online: there is a lot more nonsense out there than there is real science.

13. Jul 22, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps this would be of interest -

The Unsolved Universe: Challenges for the Future: JENAM 2002 (Hardcover)
    by Mário J.P.F.G. Monteiro (Editor)
    http://www.amazon.com/Unsolved-Universe-Challenges-Future-JENAM/dp/1402016735/

Robert Trotta's homepage at Cambridge might also be of interest
    http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~rxt/

With regard to on-line essays, one might wish to peruse the bibliographies of publications of university faculty members which have been published in peer review journals.

14. Jul 22, 2008 #13

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Freedman and Kaufmann's "Universe" textbook & "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie.

Are my tips, 1st book is loot of nice pictures and phenomelogical, second is approx 1400 pages, only B&W pictures, and lots of lots of math.

15. Jul 22, 2008 #14

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I also Kaufman's "Universe" and would like to echo the sentiments of others about being careful with online articles.

16. Jul 26, 2008 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

17. Aug 21, 2008 #16
    The Stars: their structure and evolution
    R. J. Tayler (Cambridge University Press)

Great book! I read it many moons ago for a second year astronomy course. One of the best textbooks I encountered, almost up there with Feynman. Read Feynman's lectures on physics first, to get the necessary Maths & Physics background. You need to put the physics (and some maths) into astro to advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?