Live earthquakes in the World directly on the web

• Thread starter elizabeth2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Web
Thank you for understanding.In summary, a seismology researcher offered a website for checking current earthquakes and providing research data and statistics, but this was deemed redundant with the USGS website. The researcher clarified that they also make additional statistics and predictions research, but cannot predict earthquakes with complete accuracy. The program is still being developed and will be ready for public use in November 2011. The researcher's link and email address were removed due to advertisements and spam bots, but they were invited to continue discussing seismology in the Earth forum.
elizabeth2010
Hello,

If someone is interested in seismology research, i am giving you a great stuff to check what earthquakes are happening now in the World:

Also there are research data and statistics about all earthquakes in the World.

Best Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Thank you and welcome to PF, Elizabeth,

Please notice that we have a Earth forum under 'Other science', where we can discuss these matters.

Sorry, you can move this subject to Earth Forum.

Thank you.

I just flew back from my vacation in Aruba and what I want to know is where is there a volcano when you need one?

elizabeth2010 said:
Hello,

If someone is interested in seismology research, i am giving you a great stuff to check what earthquakes are happening now in the World:

Also there are research data and statistics about all earthquakes in the World.

Best Regards,
This seems redundant with USGS, with the addition of advertisements.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/

Yes, we collect data from USGS and we make additional statistics and predictions research.

---
Elizabeth Clayton,
Seismologist researcher
California CA, USA

well, welcome Elizabeth Clayton, Seismologist researcher---I haven't seen anyone say that they're a Seismologist researcher here yet...

"we make additional statistics and predictions research."

soooo...

where's the next earthquake? : )

well rewebster, i can't say exactly when, because earthquakes can not pe precisely predicted :) we only can predict with 60% - 70% chance during a period of time but not in all world zones. This program is still under development, it is not finished yet. Probably until november 2011 we will be ready to post this system on the website.

---
Elizabeth Clayton,
Seismologist researcher

California CA, USA

Hi Elizabeth, welcome to our forum.

I'm afraid that we can't allow the link to your forum since it has ads. I also removed your e-mail address due to spam bots.

You are more than welcome to discuss seismology in our Earth forum.

1. What is the purpose of having live earthquake data available on the web?

The purpose of having live earthquake data available on the web is to provide real-time information about seismic activity around the world. This helps scientists and researchers track and monitor earthquakes, as well as inform the public about potential hazards and safety measures.

2. How is live earthquake data collected and displayed on the web?

Live earthquake data is collected from sensors and seismographs located around the world. These instruments measure the strength and location of earthquakes and transmit the data to a central database. From there, it is processed and displayed on interactive maps and charts on websites dedicated to earthquake monitoring.

3. Are there different scales used to measure earthquakes?

Yes, there are two main scales used to measure earthquakes - the Richter scale and the Moment Magnitude scale. The Richter scale is based on the amplitude of the earthquake's seismic waves, while the Moment Magnitude scale takes into account the size of the fault rupture and the amount of energy released.

4. Can earthquakes be predicted using live data on the web?

No, earthquakes cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy using live data on the web. While live earthquake data can help identify patterns and potential areas of seismic activity, it is not possible to accurately predict the exact time, location, and magnitude of an earthquake.

5. How can the public use live earthquake data to stay safe?

The public can use live earthquake data to stay informed and prepared. By regularly checking the live data, individuals can be aware of any recent earthquakes and their potential impact. This information can help them make informed decisions about emergency plans and evacuation routes. Additionally, live earthquake data can also be used by engineers and architects to design and construct earthquake-resistant buildings and structures.