Load carrying behavior of shells

In summary, the conversation is about finding literature on the topic of local and global effects due to negative and positive curvature in different types of shells under various loading conditions. The speakers discuss using the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel code and Roark's as resources, and suggest looking into finite element analysis and checking reviews on Amazon for relevant books. One speaker also recommends a specific book on FEA and shell behavior.
elena
Does anyone has some literature or any idea about this topic?More precisely i would like to know about the local and global effects due to neative and positive curvature.Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you be more specific? Have you looked at ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel code? Have you looked at Roark's? What kind of loading conditions are you looking at?

Do you mean bending behavior of shells under loads?? what approach are you looking for? finite element analysis?

I mean local and global effects of a single load for different types of shells.That is for shells with different Gaussian quadrature.The boundary conditions don't matter as in i set for example clamped bc's.I can see the local and global effects (displacement,stresses...) in ANSYS that I am working but i would like to have some literatureon this subject.Thanks and I hope I explained it better this time.

I spoke to some friends for a recommendation of a book, but they didn't give know. Anyway, when I'm looking for a book on an specific subject i usually just check in amazon and look for what it seems like genuine reviews. I looked your topic and i saw a FEA and Shells behaviour, maybe you should check that book. Good luck.

Thanks very much for the book!

1. What is the definition of load carrying behavior of shells?

Load carrying behavior of shells refers to the structural response of a thin, curved surface or shell when subjected to external loads. It involves the analysis of stresses and deformations in the shell under various loading conditions.

2. What factors affect the load carrying behavior of shells?

The load carrying behavior of shells can be influenced by a variety of factors including the material properties of the shell, its geometry and thickness, the type and magnitude of applied loads, and the support conditions at the edges of the shell.

3. How is the load carrying capacity of a shell determined?

The load carrying capacity of a shell can be determined by performing structural analysis using mathematical models and experimental testing. This involves calculating the stresses and deformations in the shell and comparing them to the material's strength and failure criteria.

4. What are the different types of load carrying behavior exhibited by shells?

Shells can exhibit different types of load carrying behavior such as elastic, plastic, and post-buckling behavior. Elastic behavior is when the shell returns to its original shape after the load is removed. Plastic behavior is when the shell undergoes permanent deformation. Post-buckling behavior is when the shell deforms in a complex manner after reaching a critical load.

5. How can the load carrying behavior of shells be improved?

The load carrying behavior of shells can be improved by using stronger and more durable materials, optimizing the shell's geometry and thickness, and providing proper support conditions. Advanced design techniques such as adding stiffeners or using composite materials can also enhance the load carrying capacity of shells.