Load center terminal screws - where to buy?

• Electrical
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center Load
In summary, a pack of small screws for terminal strips that hold 6 to 14 gauge wires is available at some places, but what I'd like is a package of the small screws for the terminal strips that hold the 6 to 14 gauge wires. If you want to buy the screws, you might try the manufacturer of the breaker box. Check the Grainger catalog for what you need.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Where can a person buy the small screws that hold the wires to terminals in a SquareD brand load center (breaker box) ?
Where can a person buy the small screws that hold the wires into terminals in a SquareD brand load center (breaker box) ?

Places sell the screws that hold the panel cover on a a breaker box. They also sell the "lugs" that hold very large wires. However, what I'd like is a package of the small screws for the terminal strips that hold the 6 to 14 gauge wires.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want a copper split screw/bolt?
Picture : https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-8-in-Copper-Split-Bolt/4461707
If you want the screws that hold ~8ga ... ~12ga wires to the bus try the manufacturer of the breaker box.
Check the Grainger catalog for what you need as well.

Not out of idle curiosity: If you do not know this stuff, breaker box wiring may be a poor DIY choice.
Just my opinion.

Likes berkeman and Asymptotic
Stephen Tashi said:
Summary:: Where can a person buy the small screws that hold the wires to terminals in a SquareD brand load center (breaker box) ?

Where can a person buy the small screws that hold the wires into terminals in a SquareD brand load center (breaker box) ?

Places sell the screws that hold the panel cover on a a breaker box. They also sell the "lugs" that hold very large wires. However, what I'd like is a package of the small screws for the terminal strips that hold the 6 to 14 gauge wires.
Are you talking about screws for ground bar(s) like the 15 terminal SqD part #PK15GTACP pictured below?
1576825447242.png

I've never seen screws for them sold separately, but that's not to say they aren't. If refurbishing a load center it is best to replace the bar(s) with new parts - the aluminum threads stretch a bit when tightened to spec torque - and salvage screws from the older bar.

Asymptotic said:
Are you talking about screws for ground bar(s) like the 15 terminal SqD part #PK15GTACP pictured below?
View attachment 254387

Yes, those are the screws I'm talking about. I find that wires under those screws often don't sit perfectly under the tip of the screw. The are captured off to one side when the screw is tightened and they nick the threads of the screw. So if you are dealing with a box that has had some rewiring, some of the screws may need to be replaced.

Stephen Tashi said:
I find that wires under those screws often don't sit perfectly under the tip of the screw. The are captured off to one side when the screw is tightened ...
Are you stripping off enough insulation so that the wire goes completely through the connector?
buss bar.jpg

image compliments of pinterest.com

dlgoff said:
Are you stripping off enough insulation so that the wire goes completely through the connector?
View attachment 254395
image compliments of pinterest.com
Yes.

The picture suggests that the exposed tip of the bare wire shoud be used to position the wire directly under the end of the screw. I find that doing this doesn't prevent the end of the screw from pushing the wire to one side once it makes contact. Flattening the end of the wire would help, but I've never seen this recommended.

It might be better to relieve the face of the screw so it contacts at 2 points.

Don't these terminal strip come in 2 versions; one for stranded wire and one for solid wire? The solid wire version might have a pointed tip on the screw, but flat tips for stranded wires.

With multi-strand wire you might crimp on a bootlace ferrule before tightening the screw. That will protect the individual strands.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
Don't these terminal strip come in 2 versions; one for stranded wire and one for solid wire?

They may, but my question concerns "circuit breaker boxes" for houses. They come with the terminal strips installed. Although it would interest me to know how to install wires in a new box, my question about screws is motivated by having to deal with boxes that have been installed and wired by others. When I make a minor change to some wiring (falling short of removing all the wires and installing a new terminal strip), it would be handy to have a pack of new screws.

Likes dlgoff
Stephen Tashi said:
When I make a minor change to some wiring (falling short of removing all the wires and installing a new terminal strip), it would be handy to have a pack of new screws.
Have you identified the screw thread diameter, pitch and profile?

You might remove a screw from each board you work on, add it to your stock of spares.

Buy a short connector strip, then remove the screws for later use.

Go to a scrap dealer and offer to remove iron screws from terminal strips for free. That increases the scrap value of the strip.

Try Googling "set screw".

1. What exactly are load center terminal screws?

Load center terminal screws are the small metal screws used to secure the wires in an electrical panel or load center. They are essential for maintaining a safe and secure electrical connection.

2. Where can I buy load center terminal screws?

You can purchase load center terminal screws at most hardware stores, home improvement stores, and electrical supply stores. They are also available online from various retailers.

3. What size load center terminal screws do I need?

The size of load center terminal screws can vary depending on the specific load center or electrical panel. It is important to check the manufacturer's specifications or consult with a professional to determine the correct size for your specific needs.

4. Can I use any type of screw for my load center terminals?

No, it is important to use the specific type of screw recommended by the manufacturer of your load center or electrical panel. Using the wrong type of screw can lead to electrical hazards and potentially cause damage to your equipment.

5. How do I know if my load center terminals need to be replaced?

If your load center terminals are damaged, corroded, or have become loose, it is important to replace them. It is also recommended to replace them if you are upgrading your electrical panel or making any changes to your electrical system.