1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Load Displacement to stress strain

1. Jul 17, 2010 #1

8-)

Hello, so here is my problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am given tensile data, which is displacement (mm) and load (kgf). also im given width(mm), thickness(mm), guage length (mm) and cross-head speed (mm/min). How do i make a stress strain curve from this?

3. The attempt at a solution

So far i have multiplied width by thickness to find cross sectional area (in metres squared). Then i divide load (kgf) *9.8/cross sectional area (m^2) to find stress. and displacement (metres) over guage length (metres) to find strain. im getting around 65,000,000 pascals for maximum stress at around 40% strain. its for PVC. does that make sense?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2010 #2
    not compared with steel whose weakest strength would be around 250,000 pascals. (Check this yourself from some independent source)

4. Jul 19, 2010 #3

8-)

Yeah it seemed off, where am i messing up?

5. Jul 20, 2010 #4
    If you search www.matweb.com for PVC, and read the material specs carefully, you may find data to compare with your results.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook