Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Load Displacement to stress strain

1. Jul 17, 2010 #1

8-)

Hello, so here is my problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am given tensile data, which is displacement (mm) and load (kgf). also im given width(mm), thickness(mm), guage length (mm) and cross-head speed (mm/min). How do i make a stress strain curve from this?

3. The attempt at a solution

So far i have multiplied width by thickness to find cross sectional area (in metres squared). Then i divide load (kgf) *9.8/cross sectional area (m^2) to find stress. and displacement (metres) over guage length (metres) to find strain. im getting around 65,000,000 pascals for maximum stress at around 40% strain. its for PVC. does that make sense?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2010 #2
    not compared with steel whose weakest strength would be around 250,000 pascals. (Check this yourself from some independent source)

4. Jul 19, 2010 #3

8-)

Yeah it seemed off, where am i messing up?

5. Jul 20, 2010 #4
    If you search www.matweb.com for PVC, and read the material specs carefully, you may find data to compare with your results.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook