Load Distribution/Rigid Body Equilibirum Problems

• Thread starter jhchex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Load
In summary, the problem involves determining an equivalent loading at point A for a bar that is being loaded by applied forces and a moment. To find the equivalent loading, the net force and net moment must be the same as the original system. This can be achieved by shifting the applied forces to point A and accounting for the moment caused by those forces. The applied moment in the middle of the beam also needs to be taken into account.
jhchex

Homework Statement

The problem statement is attached to the image.

Homework Equations

ƩFx = 0
ƩFy = 0
ƩMa = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I summed the forces in both x&y and found the resultant force to be = -48i -36j [N].
I summed to moments and got -308N*m, but I am not sure if that makes sense. I don't know how I am supposed to show an equivalent loading at A.

Attachments

• problem1help.png
    problem1help.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you may need to check your moment summation again, but i could be wrong (i just glanced at the problem quick)...

Anyway it seems like you are more stumped on the concept. What you are doing is taking a system (bar in this case) that is being loaded in two ways:
1. applied forces- that also create moments
2. applied moment
and converting it to an equivalent system. To make it an equivalent system the same net force must act on it and the same net moment moment must act on it.

If we want to take an equivalent system about 'a' then we need to "shift" the applied forces to 'a'. This will take care of the net force being equal. BUT we also need to account for the moment the forces caused about 'a'. To do this we simply sum moments about 'a' due to the forces. Lastly we still need to account for the applied moment in the middle of the beam which simply adds (or subtracts) to the moment from the forces.

1. What is load distribution in rigid body equilibrium problems?

Load distribution refers to the way a load or force is distributed over a rigid body. In equilibrium problems, it is important to know how the load is distributed in order to determine the forces acting on the body and whether or not the body is in a state of equilibrium.

2. How do you determine the forces acting on a rigid body in equilibrium?

To determine the forces acting on a rigid body in equilibrium, you must first draw a free body diagram of the body. This diagram should include all the external forces acting on the body, including applied loads and reactions at supports. Then, using equations of equilibrium, you can solve for the unknown forces.

3. What is the difference between a statically determinate and statically indeterminate system?

A statically determinate system is one in which the forces and reactions can be completely determined using equations of equilibrium. This means that the number of unknown forces is equal to the number of equations of equilibrium. In contrast, a statically indeterminate system has more unknown forces than equations of equilibrium, making it impossible to determine all of the forces without additional information.

4. How do you solve for the reactions at supports in a rigid body equilibrium problem?

To solve for the reactions at supports in a rigid body equilibrium problem, you must first draw a free body diagram of the body. Then, using equations of equilibrium, you can solve for the unknown reactions at the supports. It is important to note that the number of unknown reactions will vary depending on the type of support (roller, pin, fixed) and the number of supports.

5. What are some common applications of rigid body equilibrium problems?

Rigid body equilibrium problems have many real-world applications, including structural analysis, mechanical design, and civil engineering. They can be used to design and analyze bridges, buildings, and other structures to ensure they are able to withstand external forces and maintain equilibrium. These problems are also important in the design of machines and mechanical systems to ensure they operate safely and efficiently.