Location of minimum change in velocity for orbit escape

In summary: The rocket should be fired at the closest point to the earth, which is at the perigee. This will give you the smallest escape velocity, which is what you are looking for.
majorbromly

Homework Statement

A rocket is in elliptic orbit about the earth. To put it into escape
velocity, its engine is fired briefly, changing the rocket’s velocity by
deltaV . Where in the orbit, and in what direction, should the firing occur
to attain escape with a minimum value of deltav

Homework Equations

E=-c/A
Vescape=sqrt(2GM/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have not been able to get anything meaningful.
I attempted to set kinetic and potential energies equal, as that's when the orbit becomes parabolic and escapes, but I have not really been able to glean any information about where the rockets should be fired.

It's quite obvious to me that it should be one of the two end points. But the relative interplay between K and U is something I can't quite prove.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for escape velocity says that the farther away you are, the smaller your escape velocity is. I imagine that the best point would be at apogee (the farther point of the orbit).

That makes sense. However, at the closest point in the orbit, the object will be going much faster as well...which may or may not compensate for the increase in escape velocity. My problem is essentially that.

I have a decent proof for the direction of the thrust (although this is obvious in the first place of course). But I just cannot mathematically prove if it should be the apogee or perigee. It seems that either is equally as valid.

However, I've seen elsewhere that the rocket should be fired at it's closest pass to the planet.

Calculate the orbit speed at each of your candidate points. Also calculate the escape velocity at that radius. What are the required Δv's at each point?

As for the direction, for a Δv that occurs over a small time interval (i.e. essentially an impulse), how would you combine the initial velocity and the Δv to find the final velocity vector? What Δv direction maximizes the sum?

Ahh, I think I have it. Thanks!

What is the "location of minimum change in velocity" in terms of orbit escape?

The "location of minimum change in velocity" refers to the specific point in an orbit where the spacecraft or object requires the least amount of additional velocity to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body, such as a planet or moon.

How is the location of minimum change in velocity determined?

The location of minimum change in velocity is determined by calculating the specific energy of the spacecraft or object, which is a combination of its kinetic and potential energies. This calculation takes into account the mass of the object, the gravitational constant, and the distance from the center of the larger body.

Why is the location of minimum change in velocity important for orbit escape?

The location of minimum change in velocity is important because it allows spacecraft and objects to efficiently use their resources, such as fuel, to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body and continue on their desired trajectory. It also minimizes the risk of failure or complications during the escape process.

Can the location of minimum change in velocity change over time?

Yes, the location of minimum change in velocity can change over time as the spacecraft or object moves along its orbit. This is due to the constantly changing gravitational forces exerted by the larger body, as well as the changing velocity and position of the spacecraft or object.

How does the location of minimum change in velocity differ for different bodies in our solar system?

The location of minimum change in velocity can differ for different bodies in our solar system due to variations in their mass, distance from the sun, and gravitational pull. For example, the location of minimum change in velocity for orbit escape from Earth will be different than that for escape from Mars or Jupiter.