Location where charge is cancelled out

• Thread starter scholio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the problem involves finding the location along the line joining two charges (+10 microcoulombs and +6 microcoulombs) where the force on a -2 microcoulomb charge would be zero. Using the equations E = E1 + E2 and E = F/q, the summary suggests setting the electric field, E, to zero and solving for the distance, x, from the negative charge, q_c. This can be done by writing the distance between the position we care about and each charge (r_a and r_b) in terms of x.
scholio

Homework Statement

two charges, are +10 microcoulombs and +6microcoulombs are placed 40cm apart. find the loaction along the line joining the two charges when the force on a -2microcoulomb chrage would be zero. consider only locations between the two positive charges

Homework Equations

E = E1 + E2 = (kqa/r^2) + (kqa/r^2)... where E is electric field, and E1 is electric field of one +charge qa, and E2 is the electric field of the other charge qb

k = 9*10^9 constant

E = F/q where F = force, q is charge = -2microcoulombs, and E is from the first equation

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not sure if i am using the correct equations

first i used the frst eq and solved for E1 and E2 using the k and the given charges and radius r = 40cm =0.4m, i summed E! and E2 to get E

then used the second equation, and subbed in E from the first eq in for E in the second, used q = -2microcoulombs for q, but the thing is i am trying to find where the force is zero so, if i sub in 0 for F in the second equation i get no where

i need an equation that allows me to factor in force and the q= -2microcoulombs charge. i need to find r

help appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org
First things first:

In your first equation you have two different r's:

[tex]E=E_1+E_2=\frac{kq_a}{r_a^2}+\frac{kq_b}{r_b^2}[/tex]

where r_a and r_b are the distance between the position we care about and chareg a or b, respectively.

Now, since F=qE and we know the charge isn't zero, the point where the force is zero has to be the point where the field, E, is zero. Thus, the point we care about, call it x, is where the field is zero.

HINT:

Can you get x involved in the first equation for the total E-field?

If so, you should be able to solve for x, knowing the field at x is zero.

this is what i thought of but it just doesn't seem right at all

E = kq_c/r^2 where k = 9*10^9, q_c = -2 microcoulombs, r = (0.4 - x)

other that i don't what else, hint...?

You need to write r_a and r_b in terms of x. Then you can solve G01's equation for x.

1. What is a location where charge is cancelled out?

A location where charge is cancelled out is also known as an electrically neutral point. It is a point in space where the net electric charge is equal to zero.

2. How is a location where charge is cancelled out determined?

A location where charge is cancelled out can be determined by using the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric field at a point is equal to the vector sum of the individual electric fields produced by all the charges at that point.

3. What is the significance of a location where charge is cancelled out?

A location where charge is cancelled out is significant because it is a point in space where the electric field is zero. This means that any charged particle placed at this point will not experience any electric force.

4. Can a location where charge is cancelled out exist in a real-life scenario?

Yes, a location where charge is cancelled out can exist in a real-life scenario. For example, in a neutral atom, the positively charged protons in the nucleus are cancelled out by an equal number of negatively charged electrons orbiting around the nucleus.

5. How is a location where charge is cancelled out relevant in practical applications?

A location where charge is cancelled out is relevant in various practical applications, such as in electronic devices where the flow of electrons is controlled by the presence or absence of a charge. It is also important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and in the design of electrical circuits.