1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Locus of all points due to a charge

1. Nov 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 100 nC point charge is located at A(-1, 1, 3) in free space. (a) Find the locus of all point P(x,y,z) at which [itex]E_x = \frac{V}{m}.[/itex] Find [itex]y_1[/itex] if P(-2,[itex]y_1,3[/itex]) lies on that locus.
    2. Relevant equations
    [itex]E=k\frac{q}{r^2}\vec{r}\hspace{10pt}E_X=E\cos\theta\hspace{10pt}\vec{R}=<(x_2-x_1),(y_2-y_1),(z_2-z_1)>\hspace{10pt}[/itex]
    Cartesian to Spherical: [itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}\hspace{10pt}\theta = cos^{-1}\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}} \hspace{10pt} \phi = \cot^{-1}\frac{x}{y}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I converted the vector R to spherical coordinates because I figured that using the radius I could find the field where [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi = 0[/itex] then convert back to cartesian...It didn't work. I had a hint that I should use [itex]E=k\frac{q}{\vert{\vec{R}\vert^3}}\vec{R}[/itex] but I don't quite understand why. I believe this is just multiplying by 1, but I thought that while [itex]k\frac{q}{r^2}\vec{r}[/itex] already include the vector I could just plug in [itex]\vec{R}[/itex] for unit vector [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] then why would I have to divide by the magnitude again.

I am sure at this point that I am misunderstanding things so any clarification of these concepts it priceless. Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There seems to be a number missing. How many Volts/metre?
    I see no merit in switching to polar. Use ##E=k\frac{q}{r^2}\vec{r}##, replacing r with x, y, z. Given that you only want the x component, how will you replace ##\vec{r}##?
    (In the equation you posted with R3, the R vector appears to be the full vector, not the unit vector. Hence the need to divide by the magnitude again.)

4. Nov 3, 2013 #3
    Right, that was supposed to be [itex]E_x=500\frac{V}{m}[/itex]

I'm not sure how I can replace [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] reflecting only the x direction. Also, if they are asking for a locus, do i have to come up with a item including x,y, and z rather than just x.

5. Nov 3, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The complete vector (##\vec R##?) is <x, y, z>. The unit vector is the same divided by its magnitude. So what is the x component of that?
    An equation involving x, y and z, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted