1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Log/matrix/calc/algebra/probability/retarded question.

1. Mar 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the picture.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This is a really strange question. It's an extended-response exercise. I don't think it'd look pretty using the TeX thing, so I drew it in Paint. It combines all the topics we've done so far. Row 1 is easy. Row 2, column 1, I have no clue how to do. I'm not sure about the straight lines on the log in the bottom right, either.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In A22, the vertical lines are absolute value signs, which basically means that you take the positive value of what's inside them. In general, these are needed since the logarithm function is only defined for postiive real numbers. However, in this case, the argument is postive, and they are not really needed.

For A21, I'm afraid I don't really know what the Pr(A) and Pr(A') means. [Do you have the definition of Pr(A')? It looks like it must be equal to -Pr(A)]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  4. Mar 4, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Pr(A) and Pr(A'), I'm sure, are "Probabiliity that event A occurs" and "Probability even A does not occur". It's a bit annoying that they also use A to represent the entire matrix, but, hey, it's a silly exercise to begin with! Whatever "event A" is, Pr(A)+ Pr(A') is easy trivial!

Oh, and for A22 use the obvious loge ex= x.

The problem I have is A21:
    [tex]\left(\frac{d}{dx}(x^2)\right)^0[/tex]

I would interpret that as the derivative evaluated at x= 0 but then the answer is not what you give! The derivative evaluated at x= 1/2 will give that answer.

Finally, this is surely not "precalculus"!

5. Mar 4, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm pretty sure that's "raised to the 0-th power".

6. Mar 4, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ah, that makes sense!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  7. Mar 5, 2007 #6
    Ah, I see, so the probabilities added up is 1?

8. Mar 5, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?