1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Log problem (or by whatever method)

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a^2 + 2^a = 100, where a is an integer, find a.

2. Relevant equations

all laws of indices and laws of log, I think

3. The attempt at a solution

By trial and error, answer can be easily determined, which is 6.

However, I am unsure how to approach this problem with algebraic approach. My attempts with log basically fail, because i ended up with log (a+b), which I don't know how to carry on.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2013 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

I don't think this can be solved algebraically (at least, with "elementary" algebra). I found a second solution graphically (graph y = x2 + 2x and y = 100 on a graphing calculator and find where the two graphs intersect). The second solution is not an integer.

4. Sep 5, 2013 #3

Attached Files:

5. Sep 5, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Logs will not help. If 'a' is an integer, it must be a positive integer (can you see why?), so there are only a few possibilities, and you can easily try them out.

For positive integer a, the largest number of the form 2^a that is less than 100 is 64 = 2^6. You can test whether a = 6 solves the problem. If not, try a = 5, then a = 4, etc. Note that this method is not really 'trial and error'; it uses logic to cut the possibilities down to a small number.

6. Sep 5, 2013 #5

If 'a' is an integer, it must be a positive integer (can you see why?)

As for your question, I figured that 2^(-ve integer) gives decimals, so no (-ve integer)^2 would always give integer, thus they never add up to 100, is that what you mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted