Logarithm state the value of x for which the equation is defined
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 7K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Jaco Viljoen
- 160
- 9
HallsofIvy said:This is the second time you have posted this and it still is NOT true. Where did you find that rule? For any base, b, [itex]b^0= 1[/itex] so [itex]log_b(1)= 0[/itex]. That certainly is defined!
Hi Hallsoflvy,
I am not referring to logbx but to the problem where x is the base:
3logx5+2logx2-log1/x2=3
Sammy,
I understood what Mark was saying the base must be positive but can't be 1.
- 23,756
- 5,960
I see that you liked what I posted in #28. Does that mean that you figured out how to use it to solve the problem? If so, please show us what you did.
Chet
Chet
Jaco Viljoen
- 160
- 9
Hi Chet,Chestermiller said:I see that you liked what I posted in #28. Does that mean that you figured out how to use it to solve the problem? If so, please show us what you did.
Chet
I was thanking you for your interest and alternative option, I will however give it a bash:
what rule did you apply or why did you use ln?
$$\frac{\ln125}{\ln x}+\frac{\ln4}{\ln x}+\frac{\ln2}{\ln x}=3$$
$$\frac{\ln1000}{\ln x}=3$$
$$ln1000=3lnx$$
ln(x)3=ln1000
x3=1000
103=1000
so x=10I am not sure if I have done the right thing... Please advise
Last edited:
- 23,756
- 5,960
Well, your first equation is correct, but that's about all. Going from your first equation to your second equation is definitely not how logs work.Jaco Viljoen said:Hi Chet,
I was thanking you for your interest and alternative option, I will however give it a bash:
what rule did you apply or why did you use ln?
$$\frac{\ln125}{\ln x}+\frac{\ln4}{\ln x}+\frac{\ln2}{\ln x}=3$$
$$\frac{125}{\ x}+\frac{4}{\ x}+\frac{2}{\ x}=3$$
$$\frac{125+4+2}{\ x}=3$$
$$\frac{131}{\ x}=3$$
$$131=3x$$
$$\frac{131}{\ 3}=x$$
$$x=43\frac{2}{\ 3}$$
I am not sure if I have done the right thing... Please advise
Did you notice that the three terms on the left hand side of your first equation have a common denominator. What do you usually do in an algebra problem or arithmetic problem when you have the sum of three separate terms, all of which have the same denominator?
Chet
Raghav Gupta
- 1,010
- 76
Yeah, this is correct.Jaco Viljoen said:$$\frac{\ln125}{\ln x}+\frac{\ln4}{\ln x}+\frac{\ln2}{\ln x}=3$$
$$\frac{\ln1000}{\ln x}=3$$I am not sure if I have done the right thing... Please advise
Do, some further solving.
Jaco Viljoen
- 160
- 9
$$\frac{\ln125}{\ln x}+\frac{\ln4}{\ln x}+\frac{\ln2}{\ln x}=3$$
$$\frac{\ln1000}{\ln x}=3$$
$$ln1000=3lnx$$
ln(x)3=ln1000
x3=1000
103=1000
so x=10
Boom, done.
I don't think this change of base rule was covered in my manual.
Can this always be used?
Thank you
$$\frac{\ln1000}{\ln x}=3$$
$$ln1000=3lnx$$
ln(x)3=ln1000
x3=1000
103=1000
so x=10
Boom, done.
I don't think this change of base rule was covered in my manual.
Can this always be used?
Thank you
Mentor
- 38,152
- 10,759
That's what I meant, but was somehow unable to make my fingers follow the instructions from my brain. Thanks for pointing it out, Sammy! Embarassing, but I would rather see a mistake be corrected.SammyS said:The base, b, must be positive, but can't be 1. ( I suppose Mark had a typo.)
In my defense, the original equation had x as the base:
3logx5+2logx2-log1/x2=3
Last edited:
Raghav Gupta
- 1,010
- 76
You could use that anytime.Of whether it is useful or not depends on the situation and your thinking.Jaco Viljoen said:I don't think this change of base rule was covered in my manual.
Can this always be used?
Thank you
Similar threads
- Cinitiator
- · Replies 9 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 9
- Richie Smash
- · Replies 13 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 13
- turbokaz
- · Replies 1 ·
- Calculus and Beyond Homework Help
- Replies
- 1