Logarithmic vs exponential scales

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between graphically and mathematically representing scales, specifically the Richter scale which is a base-10 logarithmic scale. The energy increase between magnitudes on this scale is exponential, and it is commonly graphed as 10^x with the magnitude on the x-axis and the energy on the y-axis. The conversation also touches on using negative bases for logarithmic functions, which is not possible for positive numbers but can be explored with complex numbers.
srfriggen
can someone please explain the difference. Graphically and mathematically it is easy to see they are inverses. But I see certain scales like the Richter scale that seem to increase exponentially, but are labeled as logarithmic scales. for example, on the richter scale with each increase in magnitude there is an exponential increase in energy by a factor of 10 i believe. so the difference between a 5 and 6 magnitude earthquake is muuuuch greater than then energy of a 1 and 2 earthquake. seems to me that to graph this you would graph 10^x and have the magnitude on the x-axis and the energy on the y axis. but is the ricther scale and other logarithmic scales just the graph of log10x with the magnitude on the y-axis and energy on the x axis? seems it is just a matter of how you view it.

I know my question is vague, but I'm starting calc II in a week and a half and am trying to prepare as much as possible so any and all information regarding this topic would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think that graphs are split into logarithmic and linear...

Richter scale is a base-10 log scale where the assigned value is the log of the measured magnitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

Not sure what an exponential scale is. I've not heard of. I suppose you could plot ey vs x on a graph, but can't think of a reason to do so. Plotting log10y vs x or logey vs x is done all the time for convenience because a large range of y can be compactly represented.

I just meant something like y=10^x.

thanks for the info. I don't understand what the difference between "base 10" and "base -10". From what I read you would reflect the graph over the x-axis? Also, I thought you couldnt/shouldn't use a negative base for a logarithmic function?

You can't...

It wouldn't be defined for positive numbers. For example, let's say I used... oh... [tex]log_{-2} 4=x[/tex]. Rearranging, we get [tex]-2=4^x[/tex] which doesn't exist for any real, or perhaps any x.

Last edited:
Char. Limit said:
You can't...

It wouldn't be defined for positive numbers. For example, let's say I used... oh... [tex]log_-2 4=x[/tex]. Rearranging, we get [tex]-2=4^x[/tex] which doesn't exist for any real, or perhaps any x.

ehh...you can say [tex] e^{i\pi} = -1 [/tex] and then say [tex] ln(-1) = i\pi [/tex] so that [tex] ln(-2) = ln(-1*2) = ln(-1) + ln(2) = i\pi + ln(2) [/tex] and get some complex values for x if you really wanted.

That's why I had the perhaps in there. I knew it wasn't true that -2=4^x for a real x, but with complexes, who can tell?

Other than mathematicians, of course.

1. What is the difference between logarithmic and exponential scales?

Logarithmic and exponential scales are two different ways of representing data on a graph. In a logarithmic scale, the values on the y-axis increase by a constant factor, such as 10, for each unit increase on the x-axis. In an exponential scale, the values on the y-axis increase by a constant multiple, such as 2 or 3, for each unit increase on the x-axis.

2. When should I use a logarithmic scale instead of an exponential scale?

Logarithmic scales are useful for visualizing data that has a wide range of values, as they compress the data towards the lower end of the scale. This can help to make trends and patterns in the data more apparent. Exponential scales are useful for visualizing data that grows or decays at a constant rate, such as population growth or radioactive decay.

3. How do I convert data from an exponential scale to a logarithmic scale?

To convert data from an exponential scale to a logarithmic scale, take the logarithm of the data values. For example, if the data is represented on an exponential scale with a base of 2, taking the base-2 logarithm of each data point will convert it to a logarithmic scale.

4. Are there any limitations to using logarithmic or exponential scales?

One limitation of using logarithmic scales is that they can distort the visual representation of the data, making it difficult to accurately compare values. Exponential scales can also be misleading if the rate of change is not constant throughout the data.

5. Can I use both logarithmic and exponential scales on the same graph?

Yes, it is possible to use both logarithmic and exponential scales on the same graph. This is known as a semi-log graph, where one axis is represented on a logarithmic scale and the other on a linear scale. This is useful for visualizing data where one variable changes exponentially and the other changes linearly.