1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logical question (no variations, permutations or combinations)

1. Jun 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How many contestants have on one chess tournament, if every person have played only one game with all of the other contestants separately, and there are 210 games played.

This problem should not be solved by variations, permutations or combinations. This problem should be solved by using the quadric equation. (we should put some condition, and out of there make some quadric equation).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea.

x- the number of players

I really don't know.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2008 #2
    The answer just popped up into my head. Don't know how to explain it :confused:

[tex] \sum^x_{N=1} N-1 = 210 [/tex] x is the number of participants
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  4. Jun 13, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then how do you know it is the answer?

If there are n contestants then, for each one, there are n- 1 "other contestants" and so each plays n-1 games. n people, each playing n-1 games, means there are n(n-1) games- except that each game involves two players: there are actually n(n-1)/2 games played. Since there were a total of 210 games, n(n-1)/2= 210.

(Which is, by the way, exactly what armis is saying!)
  5. Jun 14, 2008 #4
    Oh, exactly. Thanks HallsofIvy
  6. Jun 14, 2008 #5
    I understand. Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?