Login or Register Problem with PF?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem with PF, where the user keeps getting prompted to login or register on every page they try to access. The other user suggests checking for privacy add-ons and making sure the "Stay logged in" option is checked. They also suggest trying a different device or browser, but the user is using Windows 7 and does not want to upgrade to Windows 10. They also discuss issues with viewing attachments and formatting options in the PM conversation. The conversation ends with the user deciding to stop worrying about the issue due to the hot weather.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is there a problem with PF? I keep getting login or register on every page I try to access.

Sincerely ... @dlgoff

Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
Is there a problem with PF? I keep getting login or register on every page I try to access.

Sincerely ... @dlgoff
Testing, testing...

Greg Bernhardt said:
Do you have any privacy addons? Sounds like your cookie is not holding.
I haven't changed anything. Maybe my browser chrome updated something that I'm not aware of.

Did you re-check "Stay logged in" when you logged in?

It was checked.

Likes berkeman
Accidentally opened incognito window?

• Informative
Likes berkeman
caz said:
Accidentally opened incognito window?
No.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Do you have any privacy addons? Sounds like your cookie is not holding.
What do you suggest I do?

dlgoff said:
What do you suggest I do?
Try it on a different device.

anorlunda said:
Try it on a different device.
I only have my desktop computer.

@berkeman
I can't view the attachments you have been giving me. When I try to download them and try opening with paint, it says those files aren't supported.

edit: my browser is wanting me update chrome. You think I should do that?

dlgoff said:
I only have my desktop computer.
try a different browser

phinds said:
try a different browser
I'm still using windows 7 and no other browser works on it. I refuse to go to windows 10, which I've tried, as it puts all kinds of crap on my PC and I start getting lots of unwanted phone calls.

Last edited:
Hi Don, I just replied again in our PM conversation about this, and converted the *.PNG file format (the default for the snipping tool I guess) to *.JPG. Try and see if you are able to see the screenshot now.

berkeman said:
Hi Don, I just replied again in our PM conversation about this, and converted the *.PNG file format (the default for the snipping tool I guess) to *.JPG. Try and see if you are able to see the screenshot now.
Now I can't find your reply with that image. Dang. Can you please resend it again?

dlgoff said:
Now I can't find your reply with that image. Dang. Can you please resend it again?
It should just be at the end of our PM conversation, but I'll attach it here as well. It shows the "toggle BB code" symbol "[ ]" that I mentioned, and the other icons are red in the screen capture because they are disabled...

Don Screenshot 01.jpg

dlgoff said:
I'm still using windows 7
I always thought that Windows 98 was the sweet spot. :wink:

@berkeman
I found the [ ] and when I click on it everything turns red and when I click on it again everything turns black again. So what does that mean?

anorlunda said:
I always thought that Windows 98 was the sweet spot. :wink:
Yes I remember Windows 98 and it was very good IMO.

dlgoff said:
@berkeman
I found the [ ] and when I click on it everything turns red and when I click on it again everything turns black again. So what does that mean?
You are toggling the functionality of the BB codes (whatever those are). So to be able to use the Greek Alphabet tool (the little Parthenon icon in the middle) or the Bullets/Numbering tool, the icons have to be black. If you want to see the formatting of stuff like the [ quote ] [ /quote ] tags (with no spaces), the icons have to be red. I was just wondering if some of the functionality problems you were seeing were becuase the BB Code toggle was the wrong way.

berkeman said:
It should just be at the end of our PM conversation, but I'll attach it here as well. It shows the "toggle BB code" symbol "[ ]" that I mentioned, and the other icons are red in the screen capture because they are disabled...

View attachment 304226
It's just way to hot here to worry about this any more. I'm just going to hope for the best. Thanks for your help @berkeman

Likes berkeman
Now I've got them all black. Don't know what that'll do. Keeping fingers crossed and going to try to stay cool.

1. Why can't I login to my PF account?

There could be several reasons why you are unable to login to your PF account. First, make sure you are using the correct login credentials. If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it through the "forgot password" link. Another possibility is that there may be a technical issue with the website or server. In this case, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies and trying again. If the problem persists, you may need to contact PF customer support for further assistance.

2. Why am I unable to register for a PF account?

If you are having trouble registering for a PF account, make sure you are filling out all the required fields accurately. Also, check to see if there are any error messages that appear when you try to register. These may provide clues as to what the issue may be. If you continue to have trouble, try using a different browser or device to see if that resolves the problem.

3. Can I use the same login credentials for both the PF website and mobile app?

Yes, you should be able to use the same login credentials for both the PF website and mobile app. However, if you are experiencing difficulty, try resetting your password and using the new credentials to login on both platforms.

4. I'm receiving an error message when trying to login. What should I do?

If you are receiving an error message when trying to login, try refreshing the page and attempting to login again. If the error persists, double check that you are using the correct login credentials. If you continue to have trouble, reach out to PF customer support for assistance.

5. Is there a limit to the number of times I can attempt to login before being locked out of my account?

There is no set limit to the number of login attempts before being locked out of your PF account. However, for security purposes, it is recommended to limit the number of unsuccessful login attempts. If you are having trouble logging in, try resetting your password or contacting PF customer support for assistance.