1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logistic Equation Calculus Question

1. Feb 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that a population develops according to the logistic equation
    dp/dt = 0.03 p - 0.006 p^2
    where t is measured in weeks.
    -What is the carrying capacity and the value of k?

2. Relevant equations

dp/dt = kP ( 1 - (p/K)) where K is the carrying capacity

3. The attempt at a solution

Well i thought that in order to solve this i need to get the differenctial expression give in the question to resemble that of the logistic equation so i can get the values. so far my attempts have failed...so i dont know if THAT is wat i am actually supposed to do.
    I rearranged the equation and i got:
    dp/dt = P^2 ( (o.o3/P) - 0.oo6)
    = 0.006 P^2 ( (5/P) - 1)
    = -0.006 P^2 ( 1- (5/P))
    that is the farthest I went so far i dont really know wat to do next or whether or not I am understanding this question correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2
    You have the general form, but then you factored out a p^2. Now you are inventing another form....

To paraphrase "Only Euclid has seen beauty bare" .... but not here.
  4. Feb 22, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So, you want to get your equation in the form [tex]\frac{dp}{dt}=\frac{rp(K-p)}{K}=rp(1-\frac{p}{K})[/tex], where here r is the Malthusian parameter (your k) and K is the carrying capacity.

Your mistake was factoring out p2, since this gives us a term which looks like 1/p instead of p inside the brackets. You should do this: [tex]\frac{dp}{dt}=0.006p(5-p)=0.03p(1-\frac{p}{5})[/tex]. Can you solve now?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  5. Feb 22, 2007 #4
    thanks for the help i got the right answer :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?