Long vs Short light wavelength absorption

In summary, in astrophysics, shorter wavelengths are more affected by dust clouds than longer wavelengths due to their higher energy and increased collisions with particles. This can be compared to the larger ripples on a pond being less affected by surface disturbances compared to smaller ripples. This phenomenon is known as Rayleigh scattering and is also responsible for our blue sky.
jumphigh
Hi all

I was reading through an astrophysics book{1} and there I came across this sentence:

" A dust cloud can either scatter or absorb light that passes through it. Since shorter wavelengths are affected more significantly than longer ones, a star lying behind the cloud appears reddened to an observer."

I do not understand why shorter wavelengths are affected more than longer wavelengths. I may be missing some basic relation but I can't figure it out right now.

Thanks

{1}: "An introduction to modern astrophysics", R. W. Carroll, D. A. Ostlie, page 439

Science news on Phys.org
hmm...I think it would be sth like this:

shorter wavelength -> higher energy particles -> more collision with dust cloud particles

is that correct?

well i found the answer before anybody answers me, i thought i should post it for future ref

same book, page 440 explains in detail about how shorter wavelength can be greater affected by the environment than long wavelengths.

As an example, the large ripples on a pond can travel along without being disturbed by the leafs and dust grains on the surface of the pond whereas small ripples get distorted.

I hope this post will be useful for someone in future.

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. The phenomenon you are referring to is known as wavelength-dependent extinction, and it is a key concept in astrophysics. To understand why shorter wavelengths are affected more significantly than longer ones, we need to look at the properties of dust particles and the behavior of light.

Dust particles in space are typically small in size and have irregular shapes. When light passes through a dust cloud, it interacts with these particles in two ways: scattering and absorption. Scattering is when the light is redirected in different directions, while absorption is when the light is absorbed by the particles.

The amount of scattering and absorption depends on the size and composition of the dust particles, as well as the wavelength of the light. Shorter wavelengths, such as blue and ultraviolet light, have higher energies and are more easily absorbed by the dust particles. This is because the particles are small enough to interact with the shorter wavelengths, causing them to absorb and scatter the light more effectively.

On the other hand, longer wavelengths, such as red and infrared light, have lower energies and are less likely to interact with the particles. This means that they can pass through the dust cloud with less absorption or scattering, resulting in a reddening effect when observed from a distance.

In summary, the shorter wavelengths are affected more significantly because they are more easily absorbed and scattered by the dust particles in the cloud. This phenomenon is crucial to understanding the appearance of objects in space and is a key factor in determining the composition and properties of dust clouds.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept better. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for your interest in astrophysics.

Best regards,

1. What is the difference between long and short light wavelengths?

Light wavelengths refer to the distance between peaks of a light wave. Long wavelengths have a lower frequency and shorter wavelengths have a higher frequency. This means that long wavelengths have less energy and short wavelengths have more energy.

2. How does the absorption of long and short light wavelengths differ?

Long and short light wavelengths are absorbed differently by different materials. Generally, shorter wavelengths are more easily absorbed by materials, while longer wavelengths may pass through or be reflected.

3. Why is the absorption of short light wavelengths more efficient?

Short light wavelengths have higher energy and are more easily absorbed by materials because they can cause the electrons in the material to move and vibrate more, leading to absorption of the light energy. Longer wavelengths have less energy and may not cause enough movement in the material's electrons to be absorbed.

4. What are some examples of materials that absorb short light wavelengths?

Some materials that are known to efficiently absorb short light wavelengths are metals, such as copper and silver, as well as certain dyes and pigments. These materials are often used in solar cells and other technologies that harness light energy.

5. Can long light wavelengths be harmful to living organisms?

Yes, long light wavelengths in the form of ultraviolet (UV) radiation can be harmful to living organisms, especially to skin and eyes. This type of radiation can cause sunburns, skin damage, and even increase the risk of skin cancer. It is important to protect oneself from excessive exposure to UV radiation through the use of sunscreen and protective clothing.