Longest hangtime for vertically-propelled rocket?

• Thread starter jdulles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, a group of friends are having a contest to create a rocket that has the longest hangtime using air pressure. Ideas discussed include using a parachute, shooting at a 60 degree angle, and using flaps for resistance. Launching with compressed fluid may be unpredictable.
jdulles
Me and a few friends are having a contest to see who can create a rocket that has the longest hangtime when shot out by air pressure built up in a container. I thought about doing a parachute, but that's risky considering that it could slow down the rocket when it is ascending and it might not deploy smoothly.
When we shoot it off, we are actually allowed to use the angle of our choosing. Theoretically, straight up would create the largest vertical displacement. But I was thinking of shooting it at like a 60 degree angle instead of a rocket, have it be a plane that glides slowly down.
The other thing I thought of was shooting straight up and having flaps that are aerodynamic when shooting up and then open up when descending because of the air pushing up on them. That would create resistance similar to a parachute.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody had any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea - shoot it at an angle. Another option is to have some sort of parachute mechanism. Beware though, that launching with compressed fluid (air, CO2, etc.) tends to be rather unpredictable.

1. What is the longest recorded hangtime for a vertically-propelled rocket?

The longest recorded hangtime for a vertically-propelled rocket is 13.7 seconds. This record was set by the Falcon Heavy rocket during its maiden flight in 2018.

2. How is the hangtime of a rocket measured?

The hangtime of a rocket is measured from the moment it leaves the launch pad until the moment it reaches its highest point in the air and begins to descend. This time is recorded using high-speed cameras and precise timing equipment.

3. What factors affect the hangtime of a rocket?

The hangtime of a rocket is affected by several factors, including the thrust and velocity of the rocket, air resistance, and the weight and aerodynamics of the rocket itself. Other environmental factors such as wind and temperature can also impact hangtime.

4. Can the hangtime of a rocket be increased?

Yes, the hangtime of a rocket can be increased by optimizing its design and using more powerful engines. However, there are limits to how long a rocket can stay in the air due to the forces of gravity and air resistance.

5. Why is the hangtime of a rocket important?

The hangtime of a rocket is important for several reasons. It allows for precise control and maneuvering of the rocket during flight, which is crucial for successful launches and landings. It also helps scientists and engineers gather data and make improvements to rocket design and performance.