Longitudinal magnetic forces in conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of longitudinal forces in conductors that can break wires when enough current is conducted. This phenomenon has been observed in experiments such as rail guns and has led to speculation about a possible missing term in Maxwell's laws. A paper in the Journal of Applied Physics and a more recent paper by Moyssides are mentioned as potential sources for further information. The use of the Maxwell stress tensor to explain these forces is also mentioned, but there may be misinterpretations in some experiments.
TrickyDicky
Is there a simple way to understand within classical electrodynamics (or QED) the experiments that show longitudinal forces in conductors that are capable of breaking wires when enough current is conducted and are not due to melting or pinch effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that this relates to an old issue about a possibly missing term in Maxwell's laws, based on experiments with such things as rail guns.
You can find a rather old paper about it in the Journal of Applied Physics:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5114236&abstractAccess=no&userType=inst

I see that this links to a more recent paper by Moyssides, which I had not seen and may give sufficient answer:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=1211177&navigation=1

Only the first paper seems to be directly related to the OP, anyway I haven't subscriptiom.
I read somewhere these longitudinal forces could be accounted for using the Maxwell stress tensor and I was wondering if anyone knew how.

Graneau has misinterpreted his experiments. I looked in detail at his papers some years ago. In each case, the geometry has current moving in a non-longitudinal direction. He considered this negligible but it isn't.

Yes, there is a simple explanation within classical electrodynamics for the longitudinal forces observed in conductors. These forces, also known as Lorentz forces, arise from the interaction between moving charges and a magnetic field.

When a current flows through a conductor, the moving charges experience a force due to the magnetic field created by the current. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. However, if the current is not uniform along the length of the conductor, there will be a component of the force that is parallel to the direction of the current. This is known as the longitudinal force.

The strength of the longitudinal force depends on the magnitude of the current, the strength of the magnetic field, and the length of the conductor. If the current is high enough, the longitudinal force can become strong enough to break the conductor. This is because the force is exerted over the entire length of the conductor, leading to a large net force on the material.

This explanation is consistent with classical electrodynamics and does not require the use of quantum electrodynamics (QED). The melting or pinch effect that can also cause wires to break is a result of the high temperatures and pressure generated by the intense current, and is not directly related to the longitudinal forces described above.

1. What are longitudinal magnetic forces in conductors?

Longitudinal magnetic forces refer to the force exerted on a conductor due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric current flowing through the conductor. This force acts along the length of the conductor and is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field and the magnitude of the current.

2. How do longitudinal magnetic forces affect conductors?

Longitudinal magnetic forces can cause a conductor to move or vibrate, depending on the orientation of the conductor with respect to the magnetic field. These forces can also impact the performance and efficiency of electrical devices and systems that use conductors.

3. What factors can influence longitudinal magnetic forces in conductors?

The strength and direction of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the conductor, and the material properties of the conductor (such as its conductivity and shape) can all affect the magnitude and direction of longitudinal magnetic forces in conductors.

4. How can longitudinal magnetic forces be calculated?

The calculation of longitudinal magnetic forces involves using mathematical equations that take into account the relevant factors, such as the magnetic field strength, current, and conductor properties. These calculations are typically done using vector calculus and can be complex for more complicated systems.

5. What are some practical applications of longitudinal magnetic forces in conductors?

Longitudinal magnetic forces are used in various applications, such as magnetic levitation trains, motors and generators, and particle accelerators. They are also important in the design and operation of electrical systems, such as power transmission lines and electronic circuits.