Looking for a 12VDC motor with low RPM

• Thread starter may ki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor Rpm
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a motor that can drive a colorwheel in a robot at a low speed and with minimal noise. Various suggestions are given, such as using a gear motor, a plastic gearbox, a stepper motor, or a servo motor. It is also suggested to try adding oatmeal to the gearbox or using a motor from a car window or a computer printer. The conversation concludes with a note on avoiding stiction by using a low frequency to drive the motor.
may ki
I'm looking for a motor that will drive a colorwheel inside a robot. All of the 12v/DC motors I have discovered so far have significantly higher RPMs (3000+) than I require. I would prefer something that runs quietly between 3 and 10 RPM. I looked online and found a few gear motors to try, but the noise is similar to a power screwdriver going on high. There is a lot of transmission noise that cannot be muffled.
I decided to ask a question here because I am a complete electronics novice. I'm unsure of the possibilities available or whether such a motor even exists.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Low torque ? Perhaps a plastic gearbox, or a stepper motor...

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
What the heck, you already have a motor/gerabox you can't use, so try adding some oatmeal to the gear box. (dry, uncooked oatmeal)

If size is not a problem, a motor/gearbox that operates the windows in a car.

Or a servo motor as used in model airplanes or boats.

Likes russ_watters
A motor from a computer printer is quiet in operation. Alternatively, a cassette motor is very quiet and reliable. You can make a motor turn slowly by driving it with a square wave having a mark space ratio which differs slightly from 50%. Use a low frequency, such as 25 Hz, so the motor armature is shaken slightly, as this avoids stiction.

Unfortunately, a connection between the OP and a spammer was found, so I'll close this thread now. Great responses by you folks to the question! :smile:

1. What is a 12VDC motor?

A 12VDC motor is a type of direct current (DC) motor that operates on a 12-volt power supply. It is commonly used in small electronic devices and appliances.

2. What is the difference between high RPM and low RPM motors?

RPM stands for revolutions per minute and refers to the speed at which a motor rotates. A high RPM motor rotates at a faster speed, while a low RPM motor rotates at a slower speed. Low RPM motors are typically used for applications that require more torque and less speed.

3. What factors should I consider when looking for a 12VDC motor with low RPM?

When looking for a 12VDC motor with low RPM, you should consider the torque, power consumption, and size of the motor. You should also consider the specific application and the load it will need to drive.

4. What are some common uses for 12VDC motors with low RPM?

12VDC motors with low RPM are commonly used in robotics, automotive systems, and small appliances. They are also used in solar-powered systems, electric bikes, and other applications that require precise control and low speed rotation.

5. How do I select the right 12VDC motor with low RPM for my project?

To select the right 12VDC motor with low RPM for your project, you should first determine the torque and speed requirements of your application. Then, consider the power supply, size, and cost of the motor. It is also important to research and compare different brands and models to find the best fit for your specific project.