1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Looking for a book to replace Arfken

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1
    Hi :)
    Okay so next month I have an exam in the course Mathematical Methods III and I desperately need a good textbook to study from.
    We covered variation calculus,fourier analysis and partial differential equations including sphrical harmonies (legendre polynomials) and various boundary problems.
    This course was very intense and the problem sets were extremely difficult. We were assigned Arfken's Mathmatical Methods for physicists book but I find it very hard to work with it.

I'm looking for books about the subjects mentioned above that have CLEAR AND SIMPLE explanations that would fit an undergraduate student and a variety of problems and exercises in different difficulty levels.

Thanks a lot!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 13, 2015 #3
    Umm can you recommend texts that are more specific about each one of these subjects?

About that -
    I already went through Boas's part about fourier analysis and it didn't really cover our course.. Same goes with spherical harmonies and boundary problems..

Thanks again

5. Oct 13, 2015 #4
    Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics by Byron/Fuller, and Theoretical Physics by Joos are terrific I hear. They are Dover and can both be bought for $40, so I think its a worthy investment!

6. Oct 18, 2015 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I like S. Hassani, Mathematical Physics, Springer.

7. Oct 18, 2015 #6

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Morse and Feshbach, if you like for a very rigorous treatment without exercises try Hilbert- Courant.

Both books will make a good mathematical physicist out of you!

8. Nov 6, 2015 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted