Books with exercises dealing with harmonic oscillators

In summary, the conversation is about finding resources for exercises on methods applied to the harmonic oscillator in quantum physics. The person has already completed an undergraduate course but is looking for more challenging exercises related to compound systems, distinguishable and indistinguishable particles, variational method, perturbation theory, and spinorial wave functions. They express frustration with the limited options provided by their teacher and ask for recommendations on books or webpages, specifically mentioning quantum optics as a potential topic to explore.
Physis
Hello!

I'm looking for books (or webpages, anything is welcome) with exercises dealing with methods applied to the harmonic oscillator, especially creation and annihilation operators, coherent states, squeezed states, minimum uncertainty states, Fock states, displacement operators... I have already done a course in quantum physics at an undergraduate level (postulates, 1-dimensional and 3-dimensional Schrödinger equation, finite and infinite wells, barriers, tunnel effect, spherical harmonics...), but I still haven't done anything dealing with compound systems, distinguishable and indistinguishable particles, variational method, perturbation theory and spinorial wave functions because that's what I'm going to learn next in the following quantum physics course. It would be extremely useful if the exercises are not easy, because that's the only thing I have been able to find. None of the bibliography the teacher has provided (Griffiths, Sakurai, Cohen-Tannoudji, Mandl...) deals with this (or at least I haven't found it), except for Ballentine, which offers offers a very limited section that doesn't go very much in depth.

Thank for your attention. I know it's a tricky request, but I don't have any exercises to practise this, as the ones we do in class are too easy compared to the problems in the exams (and there's no way to be prepared for it if I'm not able to find any resources that might help me). Have a nice day!

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to look at books on quantum optics.

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you, I'll do that!

What are harmonic oscillators?

Harmonic oscillators are systems that exhibit repetitive motion around an equilibrium point. They can be described mathematically using the harmonic oscillator equation, which is a second-order differential equation.

Why are books with exercises dealing with harmonic oscillators important?

Books with exercises dealing with harmonic oscillators are important because they provide a hands-on approach to understanding and applying the concepts of harmonic oscillators. These exercises help to reinforce the theoretical knowledge and develop problem-solving skills.

What topics are typically covered in books with exercises dealing with harmonic oscillators?

Books with exercises dealing with harmonic oscillators cover topics such as the harmonic oscillator equation, simple harmonic motion, damped and driven oscillators, coupled oscillators, and applications of harmonic oscillators in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

How can I benefit from using books with exercises dealing with harmonic oscillators?

Using books with exercises dealing with harmonic oscillators can help you develop a deeper understanding of the concept and its applications. It can also improve your problem-solving skills and prepare you for real-world problems involving harmonic oscillators.

Are there any resources available for further practice and understanding of harmonic oscillators?

Yes, there are many online resources, such as interactive simulations and video tutorials, available for further practice and understanding of harmonic oscillators. Additionally, you can also consult with your peers or an instructor for additional exercises and guidance.