Looking for a cosmology problem for pursuing my PhD

In summary, the conversation suggests that the user is pursuing a PhD in cosmology and is seeking suggestions for a research topic related to dark energy or general relativity. It is mentioned that their supervisor has given them the freedom to choose a topic of their interest. Some possible research areas in modern cosmology are discussed, including the discrepancy in the calculated value of the Hubble constant and the dominance of matter over anti-matter in the universe. It is also suggested to choose a topic that has less competition for a PhD dissertation.
Apashanka
Hi I am now about to pursue my PhD in cosmology and my guide has told me to find a problem which can be solved (which will be my research topic) regarding dark energy or general relativity.
I find it very difficult to choose a topic .
Now it would be very beneficial if this community people please suggest the evolving areas of modern cosmology or problems which are newly evolving in cosmology ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Your potential supervisor should have some suggestions, otherwise they are not a supervisor I would consider.
Your topic should be interesting for them, too.

Likes dextercioby
mfb said:
Your potential supervisor should have some suggestions, otherwise they are not a supervisor I would consider.
Your topic should be interesting for them, too.
Yes it is ...
But my supervisor has gave me that freedom to came up with a research problem of my interest.
That why I am asking for some suggestion from this community.

Well, if your potential supervisor doesn't make any suggestions, my suggestion would be to look for a different supervisor.

How can users at an internet forum guess which topic would be interesting for both you and your supervisor, especially without any background information provided?

Likes berkeman and BvU
Apashanka said:
Yes it is ...
But my supervisor has gave me that freedom to came up with a research problem of my interest.
That why I am asking for some suggestion from this community.

Where in the world are you?

I've never heard of anyone being given THAT much of a freedom to choose anything in such a wide field of study. Is your advisor THAT good and that much of an expert in every single area of study in "dark energy and general relativity" so much so that he/she allows you to pick anything in that field of study? If he/she is, then he/she should have research funding to study something in particular. So why not ask him/her what that area is? Or look up the last few sets of papers that he/she has published.

Otherwise, it sounds as if your advisor is either lazy, or does not want to put in that much of an effort to guide you. How many other students is he/she currently supervising? Were they all given the same instruction when they began?

Zz.

Likes BvU
Here's a suggestion you might like to ponder - Currently there's a discrepancy between two different methods of calculating the present day Hubble constant. The first method is done using supernovae 1a as standard candles out to a distance of about 250 megaparsecs, and comes up with a value for the Hubble constant of 74 km/sec/Mpc. The other method is done using inhomogeneities in the microwave background radiation and knowledge of the accelerated expansion known as dark energy to extrapolate to the present day, and finds a value for the present day Hubble constant of 68 km/sec/Mpc. See if you can't find a resolution to this discrepancy? Here's another one - At the moment of the Big Bang equal amounts of matter and anti-matter should have been created, which means that the universe shouldn't exist. Yet the universe is entirely dominated by matter...how did this come to be so?

Likes PeroK
alantheastronomer said:
Here's a suggestion you might like to ponder - Currently there's a discrepancy between two different methods of calculating the present day Hubble constant. The first method is done using supernovae 1a as standard candles out to a distance of about 250 megaparsecs, and comes up with a value for the Hubble constant of 74 km/sec/Mpc. The other method is done using inhomogeneities in the microwave background radiation and knowledge of the accelerated expansion known as dark energy to extrapolate to the present day, and finds a value for the present day Hubble constant of 68 km/sec/Mpc. See if you can't find a resolution to this discrepancy?
Thanks sir for the suggestion

Likes davenn
jtbell said:
I suspect there are a lot of high-powered people working on that topic right now.

https://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/201805/hubble.cfm

For a PhD dissertation, it might be better to chose a topic where you have less competition, especially if the topic is new to you.
So, what would you suggest?

I'd start by reading several (or most) of the adviser's recent papers. What doors do these papers open and what unanswered (yet tractable) questions do they suggest? If this approach doesn't provide a question that meets your interest and requirements, then the next step is to read the most interesting papers that are cited by your adviser's recent papers and the most interesting papers that cited your adviser's recent papers.

Likes alantheastronomer and Choppy

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It involves understanding the fundamental laws of physics and using observations and data to explain the properties and behavior of the universe at large scales.

2. Why is cosmology an important field of study?

Cosmology helps us understand the fundamental nature of the universe and our place within it. It also has practical applications, such as improving our understanding of astrophysical phenomena, developing new technologies, and inspiring philosophical and ethical discussions.

3. What are some potential cosmology problems for a PhD research project?

Some potential cosmology problems for a PhD research project could include studying the nature of dark matter and dark energy, investigating the origins of the universe through the study of cosmic microwave background radiation, or exploring the possibility of multiple universes through theories like string theory or inflation.

4. What skills are necessary for pursuing a PhD in cosmology?

Pursuing a PhD in cosmology requires a strong background in physics, mathematics, and astronomy. It also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis skills, as well as the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively.

5. How can I find a suitable cosmology problem for my PhD research?

To find a suitable cosmology problem for your PhD research, you can start by reading current literature and attending conferences and seminars in the field. You can also consult with your advisor or other experts in the field to discuss potential research topics and identify gaps in current knowledge that you could address in your research.