Looking for a good book explaining physics of a quadcopter

In summary, you want a book that will teach you the basics of quadcopter aerodynamics and flight. You are also interested in learning about atmospheric chemistry and how to use a quadcopter to collect atmospheric samples.
Chris Haskin
I want to build and program a quad copter as a part of my masters work. I would like ot be pointed in the right driection on a good book. I do not want a set of directions to build a rc toy, I have those. I am interested in a book that will cover the basics and equations involved in calculating the lift needed so that I can figure out the motors needed, props, length of arms and so on. I want to design this from the ground up by myself not read what someone else has done. I really just want to find books that explain the physics and equations and then I wnat to apply them to my own work.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a good basic knowledge of calculus based calssical mechanics from my undergrad work. As far as the quad copter goes I am a newbie but I would like to learn. I am working on adding another minor in electrical engineering to my undergrad degree in chemistry but I also want to connect this to my graduate work in chemistry. My main area of research is in atmospheric chemistry so my plan is to design this quad copter that I can attach sensors to for taking atmospheric readings in the lower troposphere.

Everything that I have found on the web has either been an instructional guide with everything already planned that you can just copy. I would really like to design an arduino based sensor array on a quad copter from scratch and I don't want to spoil myself with the answers until I really get stuck womewhwere.

Link supplied is straight physics - emphasis on modelling but you can use it for basics of design.
You basically want a high altitude quad-rotor UAV?

Yeah that sounds right. Depending on local law and what not. I have not checked with the FCC or local ordinances to see how high I am allowed to go. I will check out the link thank you for the input.

I think a book on robotics or controls might be better. But since your research is atmospheric chemistry, not quadrotors or robotics or the like, maybe just resources on hobbyist robotics or just straight-up "How to build a quadrotor" might be better...or just buy a kit :P

If you live in the US, the laws passed late last year about UAVs are that they are not allowed to operate above 500 feet (which might make atmospheric research difficult) and must stay in line of sight with the operator.

Thanks for the reply Jack. I have seen some of the hobbyist books and they are really nothing more than a shopping list and building instructions, at that point I would just buy a prebuilt model. We were just talking about this project today and one issue we are investigating is the vortex created by the rotors and whether or not the added energy will cause trace gases to react and then be only visible as products. I just got a couple books from the school library about helicopter aerodynamics and a couple regarding collecting atmospheric samples. It is a project that seems to get deeper and deeper. We do have a site already that air restrictions are different than the normal UAV regulations because it is part of a national atmospheric pollution campaign so that is where I hope to deploy the copter.

1. How do quadcopters fly?

Quadcopters fly using four rotors that spin at different speeds to create lift and maneuver the aircraft. The rotors work together to generate lift and balance the quadcopter in the air.

2. What is the physics behind quadcopter flight?

The physics behind quadcopter flight involves the principles of aerodynamics, specifically lift and thrust. The rotors create lift by pushing air downwards, and the thrust is generated by the propellers' rotation.

3. How does the quadcopter maintain stability and control?

The quadcopter maintains stability and control through a combination of sensors, motors, and flight control algorithms. The sensors measure the quadcopter's orientation and movement, and the motors adjust the speed and direction of the rotors to maintain stability and control.

4. What are the main components of a quadcopter?

The main components of a quadcopter include the frame, motors, propellers, flight controller, battery, and electronic speed controllers. Each component plays a crucial role in the quadcopter's flight and control.

5. How can I learn more about the physics of quadcopters?

There are many resources available for learning about the physics of quadcopters, including books, online courses, and videos. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of aerodynamics and robotics principles. Experimentation and hands-on experience can also deepen your understanding of the physics behind quadcopter flight.