1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Looking for a good book explaining physics of a quadcopter

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    I want to build and program a quad copter as a part of my masters work. I would like ot be pointed in the right driection on a good book. I do not want a set of directions to build a rc toy, I have those. I am interested in a book that will cover the basics and equations involved in calculating the lift needed so that I can figure out the motors needed, props, length of arms and so on. I want to design this from the ground up by myself not read what someone else has done. I really just want to find books that explain the physics and equations and then I wnat to apply them to my own work.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Feb 27, 2015 #3
    I have a good basic knowledge of calculus based calssical mechanics from my undergrad work. As far as the quad copter goes I am a newbie but I would like to learn. I am working on adding another minor in electrical engineering to my undergrad degree in chemistry but I also want to connect this to my graduate work in chemistry. My main area of research is in atmospheric chemistry so my plan is to design this quad copter that I can attach sensors to for taking atmospheric readings in the lower troposphere.

Everything that I have found on the web has either been an instructional guide with everything already planned that you can just copy. I would really like to design an arduino based sensor array on a quad copter from scratch and I don't want to spoil myself with the answers until I really get stuck womewhwere.

5. Feb 27, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Link supplied is straight physics - emphasis on modelling but you can use it for basics of design.
    You basically want a high altitude quad-rotor UAV?

6. Feb 28, 2015 #5
    Yeah that sounds right. Depending on local law and what not. I have not checked with the FCC or local ordinances to see how high I am allowed to go. I will check out the link thank you for the input.

7. Mar 10, 2015 #6
    I think a book on robotics or controls might be better. But since your research is atmospheric chemistry, not quadrotors or robotics or the like, maybe just resources on hobbyist robotics or just straight-up "How to build a quadrotor" might be better...or just buy a kit :P

If you live in the US, the laws passed late last year about UAVs are that they are not allowed to operate above 500 feet (which might make atmospheric research difficult) and must stay in line of sight with the operator.

8. Mar 10, 2015 #7
    Thanks for the reply Jack. I have seen some of the hobbyist books and they are really nothing more than a shopping list and building instructions, at that point I would just buy a prebuilt model. We were just talking about this project today and one issue we are investigating is the vortex created by the rotors and whether or not the added energy will cause trace gases to react and then be only visible as products. I just got a couple books from the school library about helicopter aerodynamics and a couple regarding collecting atmospheric samples. It is a project that seems to get deeper and deeper. We do have a site already that air restrictions are different than the normal UAV regulations because it is part of a national atmospheric pollution campaign so that is where I hope to deploy the copter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted