Looking for a good demo: make a speaker

• Thread starter rink_er
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speaker
In summary, the speaker demo on electromagnetics can be easily made using a magnet, coil, CD player, and a cardboard box. Instructables.com is a good resource for finding step-by-step instructions. It is possible to use a cheaper magnet and various materials for the "speaker," such as aluminum pie plates or trash cans, by attaching the coil to a speaker and placing the magnet inside. Impedance matching may not be necessary for this demo.
rink_er
Hi,

My first post here...I have some physics background, but it was a while ago. I remember seeing an excellent demo on electromagnetics, using a magnet, coil, CD player, and the top of a cardboard box to make a speaker. I'd love to find a step-by-step so I can show this to a class of high schoolers. Any good ideas on where I should look?

I'd prefer not to trash the CD player if possible, and I need to figure out what kind of magnet to use, etc. Thanks in advance for any help!

Science news on Phys.org
Thanks--I found a couple of demos there! Plus, where to get the magnet--I was worried the magnet would be expensive.

However, I don't see any mention of impedance matching...has anyone tried this? is it an issue?

In the class I help with we use the output of an old boom box. The coil is about 2cm in diameter from about 3m magnet wire. For the magnet the teacher gets small rare Earth magnets (about $.50 each) the kids use every thing from Al pie plates to trash cans as the "speaker" simply tape the coil to the speaker and hold the magnet inside the coil. It is amazing how well they work.

1. How can I find a good demo for making a speaker?

There are several ways to find a good demo for making a speaker. You can search online for tutorials and videos, attend workshops or classes, or ask for recommendations from other scientists or audio professionals.

2. What qualifications or skills do I need to make a speaker?

To make a speaker, you will need a basic understanding of electronics and circuitry, as well as some knowledge of acoustics and sound engineering. You may also need to have some experience with soldering and using basic tools.

3. What materials and equipment do I need to make a speaker?

The materials and equipment needed will depend on the type of speaker you want to make. Generally, you will need a speaker cone, a magnet, a voice coil, a diaphragm, a frame, and a power source. You will also need tools such as a soldering iron, wire cutters, and a multimeter.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making a speaker?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when making a speaker. Always wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses, and make sure to work in a well-ventilated area. Additionally, be careful when handling electrical components and follow proper wiring and soldering techniques.

5. How long does it take to make a speaker?

The time it takes to make a speaker will vary depending on your level of experience and the complexity of the speaker design. It can take anywhere from a few hours to several days to complete a speaker project. It is important to take your time and follow instructions carefully to ensure a successful outcome.