Mimicking a 14.4VDC Speaker Charger

In summary, an AC Mains Inverter would be a better option than trying to make a DC to DC charger without damaging the speaker.
eddie90
Good day Everyone,

I am going camping and I am rigging up a couple small solar power setups, I have a 12V 26AH Battery with a solar panel and appropriate solar charge controller. I will use this to charge a few 5V devices(Mostly cell phones for taking pictures and videos). Anyway that setup is pretty straight forward, I am using cell phone chargers made for use in car's cigarette lighter port

But I also want to take this portable bluetooth speaker I bought and be able to charge it. The charger that comes with the speaker says it has an output of 14.5VDC @ 2.5 Amps.I want to know if you guys think I can make a DC to DC charger without damaging the speaker?

My theory is to start off with a 24VDC Battery bank. Then buy one of these[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015YZZ1G8/?tag=pfamazon01-20 variable DC to DC step down transformers and dial it into 14.5DVC. Do you guys think this would work? Or is there something special that the charger does other than provide 14.5VDC? Of course I would manually monitor the charge level of the speaker and unplug it once it is fully charged, but other than that I think I should be fine right?

Any input is appreciated, thank you guys.

-Eddie

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
eddie90 said:
Good day Everyone,

I am going camping and I am rigging up a couple small solar power setups, I have a 12V 26AH Battery with a solar panel and appropriate solar charge controller. I will use this to charge a few 5V devices(Mostly cell phones for taking pictures and videos). Anyway that setup is pretty straight forward, I am using cell phone chargers made for use in car's cigarette lighter port

But I also want to take this portable bluetooth speaker I bought and be able to charge it. The charger that comes with the speaker says it has an output of 14.5VDC @ 2.5 Amps.I want to know if you guys think I can make a DC to DC charger without damaging the speaker?

My theory is to start off with a 24VDC Battery bank. Then buy one of these[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015YZZ1G8/?tag=pfamazon01-20 variable DC to DC step down transformers and dial it into 14.5DVC. Do you guys think this would work? Or is there something special that the charger does other than provide 14.5VDC? Of course I would manually monitor the charge level of the speaker and unplug it once it is fully charged, but other than that I think I should be fine right?

Any input is appreciated, thank you guys.

-Eddie
What is the input for the speaker charger? AC Mains? What voltage and what current are specified for the charger's input?

It might be simplest to just get an AC Mains Inverter that runs off of your 12V supply. You'd have to calculate how long your 26AHr battery will last with the Inverter and Charger connected...

Last edited by a moderator:
A battery charger is specific for a particular battery technology. You should never try to charge any old battery from any old power source; batteries can be damaged and blow up. It is likely that your 'Battery Charger" is actually just a Power Supply which feeds your Speaker and the speaker has its own internal charging / controller circuit. This is the system that cell phones and tablets use. Your speaker probably wants a nominal 12V power input and the 14V value represents what you get from a Car '12V' supply socket when the engine is running and the car battery is fully charged.
That's what your PV panel / 12V accumulator system will give you. Do you have a proper charge controller for it? Messing about, shifting voltage levels is not very efficient when you have limited energy supply.
Best to see what your speaker actually wants as an input. An internet search will probably tell you (or look at any figures on the plastic case right next to the power input socket).

Likes berkeman

1. How does a 14.4VDC speaker charger work?

A 14.4VDC speaker charger works by converting the alternating current (AC) from a power outlet into direct current (DC) at a voltage of 14.4 volts. This DC voltage is then used to charge the battery of a 14.4VDC speaker, which powers the speaker to produce sound.

2. Can I use a different charger for my 14.4VDC speaker?

No, it is not recommended to use a different charger for your 14.4VDC speaker. Using a charger with a different voltage or current output can damage the speaker or cause it to malfunction. It is best to use the charger specifically designed for your 14.4VDC speaker.

3. What is the maximum charging time for a 14.4VDC speaker charger?

The maximum charging time for a 14.4VDC speaker charger depends on the capacity of the speaker's battery. Generally, it can take anywhere from 2-4 hours to fully charge a 14.4VDC speaker. It is important to not overcharge the speaker, as it can also damage the battery.

4. Can I use a 14.4VDC speaker charger to charge other devices?

No, a 14.4VDC speaker charger is specifically designed to charge a 14.4VDC speaker and may not be compatible with other devices. It is important to only use the charger for its intended purpose to avoid damaging both the charger and the device.

5. Is it safe to leave my 14.4VDC speaker charging overnight?

It is generally safe to leave your 14.4VDC speaker charging overnight, as long as you are using the correct charger and the speaker is not overheating. However, it is always recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions and to not leave any electronic device charging unattended for an extended period of time.