Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a potential flow book

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    Okay, I apologize if this is in the wrong location, but someone once told me of a book and I figured this was the "best" place to post an inquiry as it covers many fields.

Supposedly there exists a book, an older one if I'm not mistaken, that relates the concepts of stress/strain, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and electrodynamics as forms of potential functions with different constants. Does anyone happen to know the name of this book? I would dearly love to find a copy, but know not the author, title, or if it even truly exists. Any assistance would be most appreciated. Thanks for taking your time to glance at this post!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2
    Are you looking for a maths book, a physics book or an engineering book?

Engineering Field Theory by A J Baden Fuller covers most of what you seek plus some other areas, but not the elastostatics.

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3
    Not sure what kind of a book it is. I was told it existed and I was very curious, as I love to see the interconnections.

Thanks for the find. I'm bummed that the elastostatics isn't involved, but it is definitely a step in the direction. Thanks for sharing!

5. Sep 24, 2011 #4
    You might also look at

Advanced Vector Analysis by C E Weatherburn

This covers all your areas including elastostatics, but the book is entitled vector analysis so potential theory is 'woven in'. Further it is an older book ( but " Still Good" like the Norman Rockwell adverts) so somewhat dated in content.

go well

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook